Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to our local gun show last Staurday with the intent of buying my daughter a nice dependable S&W. I found a really nice model 10-5, D834xxx with almost perfect blueing except it has plastic grips. I bought it for $300....I shot it the same day ...wow smooth and accurate. I want to get some factory grips...my questions is what years will fit the gun correctly. They have a bunch on e-bay. I like the gun so much I'll have to buy another one for her. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Hi Iron,

You did good! Good price, good gun. :D The model 10 is basic and dependable. It was the primary duty sidearm for most police departments for many years until the high capacity auto craze hit in the 80's. According to the serial number, you gun dates from 1975-76.

Your 10-5 is a "K" frame S & W and any K or L frame stock/grip of any year will fit it. You can buy new ones from the S & W site, http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... &training=, or from many after market suppliers or auction sites. You didn't say whether your gun was a square butt or round butt model but you can check the pictures in the "service grips" section and see which one fits your gun; square or round. Shop around for a while before deciding because the choices of styles is endless and the prices range from reasonable to ridiculous.

If your daughter is going to be the primary user, I would suggest that you take her to a gun shop and let her try different grips to see which style she prefers and can handle easily.

I still have my model 10 that I bought new in 1965 ($48 :D ). I also bought a stainless version of the same gun in 1981, a model 64.

Good hunting!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...and link to S&W website. The gun has a square butt. With new grips the gun will look brand new. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You might want to check out the many after market rubber grips that are available for the K-frame. I am a die hard Smith revolver fan and have owned a lot of them over the years. My favorite is the 65 with 3" barrel and round butt. I have never found a pair of original factory wood grips that fit my hand. For the square butts, I usually buy the Uncle Mike's grips with the finger grooves. For the round butt's, I favor the Pachmayr compac professionals with the open back strap. Try a bunch of these before you make a final decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It came with Pachmayr grips and feels really good but love that wood look. How much should I pay for original S&W Target grips. I know it depends on condition and age. New target grips are $79 on S&W website. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts