Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1975 3inch model 36 square butt

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Chiefs 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I’m new on here with the specific purpose of getting some help with my model 36. In very recent times there were two laser sights available for the square butt model 36. One from laserlite and one from crimson trace. Neither are now available. Can some one please help me locate a decent aftermarket sight for this firearm. The top frame looks like it could accommodate some sort of aftermarket clamping base for a rail to take a red dot sight. Anything !!! I am sure some of the Simthy experts can help. Options are limited in Australia. I’m prepared to pay for anyone that could make some sort of aftermarket mount or anyone that might have a laserlite side mount laser for sale. Please help 😖😖🙏🙏👍

#9 ·
Welcome to the forum.

You've got a seriously nice J frame there... Very desirable here.

Personally, after acquiring a red dot equipped SIG P320 recently and training on it, I don't see a great advantage to the red dot, and end up dealing with the slight bulk added at the rear. Actually have an alternate slide without the red-dot to easily switch them out.

I never recommend laser sights on handguns because in an event they lead a perpetrator right back to your location when there is particulate matter (dust or rain) in the air, and the dot focused on them cues them into a potential threat. It's better to train and learn point shooting technique for the typical distances in a self defense event.

If you're set on having lasers, consider the ones built into grips. Easy to install. Compact, and easy to remove. Drilling and/or clamping stuff will end up damaging a beautiful example of this revolver, and add to the bulk.

#11 ·
Thank you again for the reply. I do agree with all you have said. My preference is actually a side plate mounted laser. Laserlite sold them but for some reason the don’t anymore. The beauty of these is they add basically no bulk and you o lay use it when you switch it on. For me open sights for close laser for the deer you just spotted 30 m away. So basically dual purpose firearm. I love the red dot reticle view through sights but as you said there is no way to mount them unless I drill and weaken the frame.
If there is anyone out there with a second hand side mount laserlite I would be happy to purchase it. Crimson trace do make a laser incorpretated into handgrips but it’s only for the round butt.

thanks for the help and the welcomes to to forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.