Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this one today (~$550) while looking for a used Marlin in the same price range.

It is a commemorative with the same inside parts as my other two Winchester 94 lever guns. The great thing is that it is unfired (for now) with the original box and paperwork. It had some 40-year old dust on it. It's my first octagon barrel carbine/rifle.

The Winnie 94 is not rare as they made over 7.5M before stopping. Henry and Marlin make a nice replica.

Close up:

The box had all the paperwork including the warranty papers and manuals : Winchester. World Famous Firearms:

I look forward to firing it down range.(y)

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
Heckuva deal! Congrats!

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heckuva deal! Congrats!
I say fair deal at best. It's an old lever-gun with many cool semi-automatic rifles on the market.

I got my other two in the mid 1970's:

I am a sucker for old guns with boxes, paperwork, nice walnut wood, and with a common caliber. JMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Wendy. You are a Super Nice Person.

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great looking lever gun. I am a sucker for octagon barrels.
My first octagon barrel. It's 8 sides with the thicker barrel.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
17,519 Posts
Very nice gun and being a commemorative it is less expensive but should shoot great. I find my octagon barrels are heavier but seem to be more accurate. Congrats.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice gun and being a commemorative it is less expensive but should shoot great. I find my octagon barrels are heavier but seem to be more accurate. Congrats.
Rodney,
I agree that the commemorative is less expensive. Yet, those rifles are around today from guys that bought 'em back in 1967, and they ran out of time before using them.

I would love to find an old 5-screw or 4-screw S&W revolver in unfired condition with the box and paperwork.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Good find for the price of an iconic Winchester, the Win '73 is considered as the gun that won the West, along with the Colt Single Action revolver. Looking forward to your range report. :)

·
Registered
22,187 Posts
Congrats on the new acquisition! Like the model 94. Have the 94 Centennial (1966) that I inherited from my dad. Wasn't fire until I got my hands on it.:) Enjoy!

·
Registered
17,519 Posts
Rodney,
I agree that the commemorative is less expensive. Yet, those rifles are around today from guys that bought 'em back in 1967, and they ran out of time before using them.

I would love to find an old 5-screw or 4-screw S&W revolver in unfired condition with the box and paperwork.
My older S&W revolvers have no boxes but noticed this weekend is a Gun up here so maybe they are coming back and might be a source. I think will check it out and see what is there. The way gun sales have been maybe some of the newer stuff is scarce and possibly older guns available.

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good find for the price of an iconic Winchester, the Win '73 is considered as the gun that won the West, along with the Colt Single Action revolver.
Bob,
You are correct as the Win 1873 Model was a huge success (just ask Col. Custer who lost Little Bighorn in 1876). Yet, the Win 1894 was designed (by John Browning ) for the back-force of the newly designed sliding block that allowed the 30/30 cartridge . The '73 could explode with the new 30/30.

The Win 1894 even fought in WW1 and WW2.

I can think of no handgun better in the late 19th Century than the Colt SA.

Reactions: BonitaBob

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
..The way gun sales have been maybe some of the newer stuff is scarce and possibly older guns available.
Rodney,
I drove over to Adv. Outdoors and think the nice older stuff is as rare as the new nice stuff at a reasonable price. :)

They had some older rifles that were new 'rare' commemorative rifles at $1500. Please give me a break but those are worth much less. 'Rare' does not equal a higher price on some guns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts