Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of bird shooting shotguns that I have been enjoying. I've owned them a long time, but I hid them in the attic when my link to plantation quail hunting ended (he passed away, RIP).

The Browning shotgun was invented by John Browning (he also designed to 1911). The A-5 was a breech loading 5 shell model. Yet, GA had a Plug Rule so you could only load three shells per time (the gun was faster than the birds).

These were ordered guns from 1960 (I have the bill of sale). They had the same detailed workmanship as a S&W revolver in that era. This was the last years of the pre-models and the beginning of the no-dash Models.

The Browning 12 gauge 28" barrel is good. It works perfectly. The wood stocks are very nice:

The Browning 20 gauge 26" barrel offers a little less fire-power. It is built as well as the 12 gauge, but it is much more rare. They started making the 20 in 1958. It may be worth twice as much as the 12. :eek:

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Sweet! I always thought the Browning A-5 looked clunky... until I shot one & was amazed @ how well they handle! I particularly like the English style stocks, I bet yours shoot like a million dollars.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have a good eye. The stocks are European as well as the lanyard rings.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is just a follow-up for anyone that is looking or someone that found them here due to Google search.

The rear stocks are not original but some say that were made by a ~famous guy in the 1960 era. It's unsure if the dealer did it or the factory.

The Twenty is the most rare. Browning started them in 1958 (according to a book). I have gotten a few unsolicited high offers for it.

I have also been directed to Art's Gun Shop:
https://artsgunshop.com/

It's in Hillsboro, MO. It looks like they are the experts.

Reactions: jeepnut
1 - 5 of 5 Posts