Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a little help here on my 1956 S&W K38. I've tired researching this and I'm having trouble with two questions.

It seems the nickel version of this pistol is fairly rare so I'm having trouble pricing it. Does anyone have any guidance on this? It's is pretty good shape and mechanically solid.

I'm also trying to confirm if the grip on the pistol of stock factory original or S&W aftermarket. I don't think they are, but haven't been able to confirm this. From what I've been able to tell, the combat style grips are fairly sought after.

I appreciate any help I can get.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
The stocks (grips) as has been stated are clearly not original to the gun. The finish is nickel, but from the pristine look, I doubt it's original finish. Others here can tell by finish marks that I'm not schooled well enough to answer.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't see a reason to doubt the nickel, at least not from what I can see. It should have an "N" stamped on the rear face of the cylinder (look under the extractor star), denoting a factory nickel finish. It may be stamped on the frame under the grip panel too, but I'm working from fuzzy memory there.

·
Registered
26,151 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've check the rear of the cylinder...no N. Only has a K and the serial number, which matches the serial on the barrel. I've not taken the grips off yet to check the frame. I appreciate everyone's help...looks like I just have a good shooter.

·
Registered
30,038 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
I think there may be an “N” on the barrel flat where the ejector rod goes. Don’t remember when they stopped that. Or, as has been said, on the left side of the frame under that stock panel. Hank

·
Registered
863 Posts
You took excellent pictures, very nice detail. That nickel looks so good I was surprised not to see the N on the grip frame. That is a very nice pistol, really accurate. That will last a few lifetimes. Good choice.

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
I can see significant polish marks on the sideplate and frame. S&W factory finishes don't show polish marks to that extent. The T is an inspection stamp and meant something internal to the S&W QC process.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts