Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kit gun airweight model doesn't have a matching s/n on the yoke and also under the grip it is only stamped with a "6", not the complete s/n of 61xx. The standard catalog of S&W says it should have all these matching serial numbers. I pretty sure the elderly lady I inherited this pistol from bought it new and never had any work done to it. Could the catalog be wrong? All the other s/n's match; barrel,butt,cylinder face,under the star.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Hi lobitakeke,
Welcome to the forum.
The number inside the crane is NOT the serial number it is an assembly number which was used to keep the major parts together prior to blueing or in your case anodize. The 6 under the grip is an assembler mark. neither of these mean much to us. The serial will be on the butt of the gun, on the underside of the barrel , and on the rear face of the cylinder. and under the star. There are your matching numbers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, thanks for the info. It makes perfect sense. The catalog must have some errors in it. If you go the section with 1955 .22/.32 kit gun airweight you will see the authors list s/n locations on the yoke or crane and the right grip panel. My name is Phil. Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
lobitakeke
The serial # is on the yoke you need to look through the cyl or remove the yoke and cyl an slide the cyl back to see it. The 6 you see is a fitters mark if only on the yoke its a assembly # if stamped on the frame inside the yoke cut out.
James

1 - 4 of 4 Posts