Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at the “New Posts” and did not see many gun related posts so, here is one to help stimulate the Forum.

This is a Model 1950 Heavy Duty, built in 1950. This model differed from previous HDs by having the short action that was introduced across the board in this year. I have quite a few of the older long action N frames and it is a big difference. Too bad the internet was not available in 1950, it would be interesting to hear if there was any whining and crying about the switch to the short action like there is about two piece barrels, MIM parts and the storage lock!

I have fired this one a bit. I used the load popularized by Skeeter Skelton, 38 Special brass, the 160 grain Thompson 358156 bullet crimped in the lower groove, and 13.5 grains of 2400 powder. It hits hard and to the fixed sights of the 5” barrel.

The stocks are not original to the revolver, it came with some rubber things on it, just a pair I had handy for photos. For shooting it wore a set of magnas and a grip adapter.

Kevin

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Very nice! Smith and Wesson tried to revive the Heavy Duty with the first model 520, a fixed sight N frame chambered in. 357. It didn't sell and was dropped. The short action before 1950 was available by competent gunsmiths repositioning the hammer axis. I've only seen photos of a few but the short hammer throw was a thing. It's also why I don't care for Ruger revolvers, it takes forever for the hammer to fall.

·
Super Moderator
35,557 Posts
Fine HD! I say we lucked out finding this one at a gun show a few years ago:

One of the local gun dealers/gunsmiths in this area always had a table at the shows, we were looking at a model 10 and noticed this Smith, $600 plus tax. We did replace the grips which were non original magnas with Altamont bonded ivory which we both like the looks of.

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
Hey Kevin,

Wowser! What a great looking HD!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The HD was S&Ws answer to Colt’s 38 Super. LE wanted a handgun that would shoot through cars and the bullet proof vests of the day and the K frame 38 Special was not up to the task. S&W chambered the 38 Special in the N frame and Remington (?) brought out a heavy load for it that satisfied the requirements of LE.

And then the handloaders got involved and a few years later the 357 Magnum was introduced, also in the N frame. After the Magnum made its debut, some gunsmiths would rechamber the 38/44 for the longer cartridge. More than a few were also rework d to larger cartridges like the 44 Special and the 45 long Colt.

I wonder, when S&W were developing the 357 if they chambered any of the HD for the Magnum or only the adjustable sighted frames?

Kevin

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Fine HD! I say we lucked out finding this one at a gun show a few years ago:

One of the local gun dealers/gunsmiths in this area always had a table at the shows, we were looking at a model 10 and noticed this Smith, $600 plus tax. We did replace the grips which were non original magnas with Altamont bonded ivory which we both like the looks of.
I’d say that revolver needs a grip adapter but otherwise a good looking piece.

Something like this.

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

Kevin

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty sure that last photo posted shows the N frame with K frame grips...Still looks pretty spiffy.
Ding, ding, ding, ding, give that man a ceegar!

When I got those ivories I stuck them on a couple of M&Ps, first a 32 WCF then a 38 S&W Special. When I got the 22-4, I was short a set of magnas and threw them on for “just one photo”. Well... they felt pretty good so I left them.

If you have a pair of N magnas in ivory maybe we could trade!

Kevin

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Nice Heavy Duty. I have one from 1952 with the 5" barrel I bought in the late '90s for $250. (No, I do NOT wanna double, or triple my money).:eek: It's my favorite of the many N-Frames I have owned. I invite you to check out the .38/44 Heavy Duty website. It has a lotta cool stuff on it.
JIm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.