Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I’m looking at potentially purchasing a pre-model 26. As you can see in the picture, it has a ramp front sight. Looking at the standard catalog, it says it came with a Partridge site. The majority of the pictures I see online have the Partridge site. Considering the serial number puts it at 1952 to 1953, is it possible that this could be the original factory site? I’ve read on other posts that the ramp site took over from the Partridge site sometime in 1952. But I’ve also seen pre-model 26s that were produced after 1952 that had the partridge sight. Any information that you could provide me would be very helpful. I appreciate it. Thanks Dan
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The front sight is pinned in place. It can or could have been replaced at anytime. The only sure way to tell is with a letter. IF it is original, it is a rather odd choice of front sight for a target revolver.

Also, what you are looking at is a Model 1950 .45 Target Revolver. No one knew they would be assigning numbers so it was not a “pre” anything.

I like mine, from February, 1956.

Air gun Wood Grey Trigger Revolver

Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel

A great shooter!

If you are not aware this was the first Target Model revolver offered in 45 ACP by the factory. All previous Target revolvers in 45 ACP were custom built either by the factory or private gunsmiths. It did not prove popular with the shooters and from 1950 until it was discontinued in 1961 only 2768 were built.

Kevin

·
Banned
9,646 Posts
Hey Dan,

Welcome to S&W!

What a FINE REVOLVER!!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information Kevin and the welcome everyone! Looks like there’s a lot of good information on the site.

Would you agree there wasn’t an overall replacement of the Partridge site in 1952 and that the majority of the model 1950 .45 Target revolvers would’ve had the Partridge site unless ordered otherwise? If so, does having a non-standard site on a revolver affect the value? I believe the revolver is all numbers matching including the right grips and box.

·
Premium Member
20,361 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Post a picture of the box label. It may show if the front sight was special ordered.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Thanks for the information Kevin and the welcome everyone! Looks like there’s a lot of good information on the site.

Would you agree there wasn’t an overall replacement of the Partridge site in 1952 and that the majority of the model 1950 .45 Target revolvers would’ve had the Partridge site unless ordered otherwise? If so, does having a non-standard site on a revolver affect the value? I believe the revolver is all numbers matching including the right grips and box.
In my opinion, altered front sights indicate the owner was a shooter and wanted the revolver set up to be as near perfect, FOR HIM, as it could be. The revolver you posted is in very good to excellent condition, possibly unaired after it left the factory. In that case, a replacement part will effect the price and not positively. As I mentioned, an historian’s letter will indicate how it left the factory but they are $100.00 and slow to get.

You have not mentioned the asking price on this one. It may be a bargain and you are not realizing it. The one I showed it my post was gotten very inexpensively because the barrel is a replacement. The owner shot it with corrosive ammunition and shot out the barrel. He got a new 1950 barrel from the factory and had it installed.

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
35,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Look like a very nice Smith!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts