Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
That's a good get.

Registered
With the Character of that snubby you just gotta like it. Good addition.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Cool! I dont see many M&P snubbies for sale, and have never seen one that old for sale in my area
This one sat in the LGS for quite awhile and I probably paid too much for it. But it just kept calling out to me every time I saw it. The gun was very dry when I bought it so when I brought it home I gave it a good cleaning and oiled the finish. The bore and chambers were clean and I bet it was just sitting in somebody's dresser or desk for a long time. Maybe it was a detectives gun or a LEO backup piece, if only it could talk.

Registered
I have wanted a round butt 2 inch with pre war style service grip. Some I found were priced way above the quality of the gun. I found this one last year at Las Vegas Antique Arms Show. Best thing about it I was born March 1949 and the gun was shipped March 1949 !!

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Minor thing, but that鈥檚 almost certainly 1949 manufacture. Based on the available ship data, they got to just above C40xxx by the end of 1948.
I was going by my S&W 2nd edition book. 1948 c1-c223998 then 1952 c223999-c226003. So I guess 1948 or 1949.

Registered
When you extrapolate from the SCSW serial ranges, you have to keep in mind that for several months in 1948, they finished up the S-prefix and built about 30- to 40,000 of those before starting the C-prefix. S999999 did not ship until June. That explains why they didn鈥檛 get that high.

Super Moderator
Looks like a nice find!

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I went to the range yesterday and shot it from 5 yards to 15 yards. It is quite pleasant to shoot using 158gr LRN bullets and was nearly dead on for windage and elevation. The ammo was Federal 158gr LRN standard velocity which I thing the gun was design to shoot. That front sight is a little difficult to see so I think some red fingernail polish is in order. I'm really liking snubbies.

Premium Member
I have one 1948 .38M&P. It is an S prefix Postwar. Shipped 3/01/48. All numbers match.

forensic anthropology career outlook

shoots pretty good

although I still have work to do on the smiley face

1 - 18 of 18 Posts