Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new member-should have done it long ago.
Question- I have a 1937 Brazilian 45 ACP that could use a barrel. I bought it with the barrel cut to 3 1/2", bore is frosted but clean. Shoots pretty well, but I'd like a longer barrel, and I'd like to use a newer model barrel. Is the thread size the same for N-frame? I once had a mdl 28 that was converted to 45 ACP, but like an idiot I sold it.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, all N frames are threaded the same. Barrels are available from a variety of sources. Just depends on what you are wanting. I have seen one 1917 and the owner used a 625 barrel on it. He machined off the rib, reprofiled the ramp and sight, and blued it. He did a great job on it.

The 3 1/2” is a common conversion for the ACP revolver. You might be further ahead selling the revolver and putting that money into what you want.

Here is my Model 28-2, I converted it to ACP in the 80s.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Hello all, new member-should have done it long ago.
Question- I have a 1937 Brazilian 45 ACP that could use a barrel. I bought it with the barrel cut to 3 1/2", bore is frosted but clean. Shoots pretty well, but I'd like a longer barrel, and I'd like to use a newer model barrel. Is the thread size the same for N-frame? I once had a mdl 28 that was converted to 45 ACP, but like an idiot I sold it.
Thanks
How about some pics.

·
Registered
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,039 Posts
You might be further ahead selling the revolver and putting that money into what you want.
sound advice ..

if you want a longer barreled 45 acp look into an original 1917 / 1937 or even a model 25

as a 45 acp shooter, nothing in S&W's offerings beats a 5" 625 ...

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
So, a bobbed barrel and chopped hammer. Are you considering replacing both? Barrels aren’t cheap and hammer are expensive.
Not a bad looking revolver in an E G Robinson sort of way.

Kevin

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
If you want a first class thumping .45 ACP revolver ... get a 625-2. With a handful of full-moon clips, you can't beat it! Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I just did a search on GBroker and others-OUCH, they's pricey. All are gorgeous though. Maybe I shouldn't say this here, but I also saw a couple Ruger Redhawks in 45 ACP/Colt. Not as sweet looking, but attractive in a Godzilla sort of way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
About the bobbed hammer, it's a shame as the case hardened target hammers are works of art. I almost never shoot SA, so it was an acceptable compromise

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys are a bad influence. After ussmanlovede36's reply, I pulled the grips and was reminded that the hack-n-wackery gunsmithing didn't stop at the barrel/hammer. The grip frame was re-contoured to a 'round butt'. I don't know if it is correct, I don't have any RB grips to try the fit. I found some aftermarket walnut grips (cross between service and magna) w/o checkering that I can carefully shape. OK, there's that. Next I started looking at N frame hammers. Strawhat, I think E.G.Robinson is a generous comparison. I'm thinking more Bugs Bunny and Rocky. Anyway, I found a nice set of 25-5 target hammer/trigger. Question- would these later model parts fit?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Looks like yours was rebarreled as there does not look like there is any taper on that barrel. Nice job. They are special.

Here is a Brazilian I shortened to 4”

View attachment 466166 View attachment 466167

WOW! I just bought the twin to yours today. Well, actually I started the paperwork and put $175 down on it and I'll pay the $175 balance when the BGC clears and I can pick it up.
Mine wasn't made from a Brazilian, it started life as a 1917 commercial from 10-15 years before the 1937 Brazilian contract.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts