Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This example of a pre war 5" Heavy Duty, 37863, with service grips and a non factory cut front sight was shipped to William "Western" Hoegee Company, Los Angeles, CA on 20 May 1931. I purchased this from a Rock Island Auction several years ago.

Enjoy,
Bill

G

·
0 Posts
What can you tell about the front sight? Looks modified to me. Does it catch the light better?

Giz

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Giz,
It is like a ramp and the way they cut it, the top piece is like a post. They didn't even reblue it after they cut it.
Bill

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I saw a Wolf and Klar 5" .44 at a recent FT. Worth gun show with that very same front sight mod. Likewise, it had not been reblued, but time had darkened the steel to a deep gray color. It must've been a fairly common alteration.

xtm

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen another variation where they serrate and ramp the front half of the sight which I think the factory did.
Bill

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
My less than pristeen 38/44 prewar also has a simular front sight modification also. I like the way it looks and shoots. It also left the factory in 1931.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Originality aside, the front sight on your No. 37863 is quite appealing and looks like something Smith & Wesson should have adopted even if they didn't. Great revolver!

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
bmcgilvray said:
Originality aside, the front sight on your No. 37863 is quite appealing and looks like something Smith & Wesson should have adopted even if they didn't. Great revolver!
Yes, indeed! Nearly all of the front sight modifications shown above are superior to the original half-moon.

xtm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts