Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1917 with 2 SNs on Cylinder

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  BlackBat242 
#1 ·
I have this 1917 in fine condition but it's a little confusing because there are 2 serial numbers stamped on the cylinder.
The 109XXX on the left matches the butt, barrel, frame, and stock grip panels. For some reason there is a second 6 digit s/n stamped on the right.
Metal Product Wheel Auto part Rim
Any thoughts?

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! S&W only used serials beginning with 0 for club guns. These were guns made up in the service shop from spare parts that were donated to shooting clubs. Does your gun have the standard US Army 1917 serial on the butt? Is there a star stamped somewhere on the butt? Is there a diamond or box stamped somewhere on the frame or parts?

#5 ·
I have this 1917 in fine condition but it's a little confusing because there are 2 serial numbers stamped on the cylinder.
The 109XXX on the left matches the butt, barrel, frame, and stock grip panels. For some reason there is a second 6 digit s/n stamped on the right.
View attachment 471249 Any thoughts?
Might be but I can not recall ever seeing a six digit assembly number. It could be though as I have never seen a S&W revolver with zero as a cirst number in the serial.

Kevin
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! S&W only used serials beginning with 0 for club guns. These were guns made up in the service shop from spare parts that were donated to shooting clubs. Does your gun have the standard US Army 1917 serial on the butt? Is there a star stamped somewhere on the butt? Is there a diamond or box stamped somewhere on the frame or parts?
Here the pix I have handy. The barrel, butt, frame, extractor, wood stocks, and cylinder all have the same serial #s. There's just that extra number on the cylinder.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.