Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I showed my Regulation Police .38 ctg with a ser # 915, to someone that might be interested in it. After I was told here on this site, that it was a pre-war model, this guy is telling me that it’s a 1942. I originally posted a ser # of 916 but after looking closer, it is 915. Is this guy correct? Please someone let me know. Pics of the # coming up. Thank you, Wendy A6A70A71-1711-4965-B1E5-73E6F9BEEE8B.jpeg

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Look on the bottom of the grip frame for the correct serial #, you're showing the assembly #. The correct serial # will help dating it. By the way the .38S&W refers to the cartridge it's chambered for, not the model (.38 S&W isn't the same as a .38 special). The 1917 model is a .45, not a .38 S&W. Your gun is also missing a side plate screw.

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
Look on the bottom of the grip frame for the correct serial #, you're showing the assembly #. The correct serial # will help dating it. By the way the .38S&W refers to the cartridge it's chambered for, not the model (.38 S&W isn't the same as a .38 special). The 1917 model is a .45, not a .38 S&W. Your gun is also missing a side plate screw.
On RP's the serial number is on the forward part of the grip frame, not the bottom. Like this:

358.jpg

In any event it's not from '42 due to the ejector rod knob which was discontinued in the late '20's

So, what IS the serial number?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe I labeled it .38 CTG. I was referring to the round and not the model. I have asked questions on the sight before and had shown pictures. I hope I can get useful knowledge, as I am not as knowledgeable on this model as others. Thank you for your input and God Bless. Wendy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank y’all for your input, and sharing your knowledge with me. I am blessed to have come across this site. Someone was really trying to take advantage of me and I wasn’t falling for it because of your information on this site. I am a widow and really have to watch out for the wolves in my town and all over. I have been taken (hard to say) of all my life savings and these guns I own, are all I have left of monetary value outside of my job of course. Y’all have been wonderful and may God bless you richly. Wendy

·
Registered
682 Posts
Wendy,

You have complete consensus here that your gun is from 1917. You can have complete confidence that it's true and correct. If you can print out the thread you can show it to prospective buyers to back up you now know to be true about your gun.

One thing to realize is that very few in the general population including clerks in gun stores, know with much accuracy about these 100 year old guns. No matter what they say, stick to your guns (pun intended)! If they don't want to pay what your asking due to they're lack of knowledgeable, just move on. Have you thought about posting an advertisement in the sale section of this forum? You'll be dealing with much more knowledgeable people and you can refer them to this thread.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you the correct replacement screw for the one that's missing.

I wish you the best of luck and a good buyer soon!

Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jim, thank you so, so much for your post. I would greatly appreciate it , if I could buy that missing screw from you. Apparently, that’s a big deal to some folks and it has prevented me from selling it. I didn’t even know that it was missing, until about 3 weeks ago. How do I get you my email, and is it safe to post on this site? Thank you Jim and God Bless you. Wendy

·
Registered
682 Posts
Jim, thank you so, so much for your post. I would greatly appreciate it , if I could buy that missing screw from you. Apparently, that’s a big deal to some folks and it has prevented me from selling it. I didn’t even know that it was missing, until about 3 weeks ago. How do I get you my email, and is it safe to post on this site? Thank you Jim and God Bless you. Wendy
No charge. I sent you a private message with my email.

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello! I know I am a few years late to the party here, but I was hoping you fine Gentlemen could help me date my similiar regulation police .38 short. The shop said it was made from 1917 - 1940. my serial number is: 21100.

Any help is appreciated. Hoping for a date :)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,813 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! It would have been better if you had started your own thread, but so be it. Your revolver was likely made in the early 1920's. Post pictures of all sides and maybe we can narrow that down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! It would have been better if you had started your own thread, but so be it. Your revolver was likely made in the early 1920's. Post pictures of all sides and maybe we can narrow that down.
hi @Wiregrassguy! Thank you for the warm welcome. I’m a relatively young collector but my love is for old firearms.I’ve had my eye on this revolver for some time and finally went for it. My first (working) smith and Wesson.
Here are some pictures:

·
Premium Member
19,813 Posts
The .38 Regulation Police revolver had its own serial number range starting at 1 in 1917. S&W began producing the Model 1917 exclusively for WWI in late 1917 and suspended stamping its guns with a trademark. Your RP has a trademark stamp which was re-implemented in 1920 but no "Made in USA" stamp which was started in 1922. So, it was likely made between 1920-22. .38 RP serial 21806 was shipped in August 1921. .38 R.P serial number 21161 was shipped in September 1922. S&W did not ship in serial number order and you can see that from the two examples of known ship dates with serials near yours. To get any closer, you would need an historian's letter which costs $100 from the S&W Historical Foundation.

Reactions: Abby'sDad
1 - 20 of 36 Posts