Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 馃槑
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a new 1911 a couple of months ago just because I never had one and I knew I really needed one, and then of course a couple of boxes of ammo, and of course I needed some new grips 'cause didn't want to mess those rosewood ones, and I needed a new pistol rug to carry it in 'cause, well the big ol plastic case it came in doesn't fit in my range bag real well, and I needed some nylon brushes and some mops, since it is my first 45 etc.. better get some action cleaner cause I hear those autos need their butts' wiped alot, better get 'nother can of rem oil, etc.. oh yea, really need couple of additional mags, those CM power mags look pretty good and are on sale.. etc...

And then I was on gunbroker, and I thought, well - since I already have ammo and brushes, maybe I should just look for a Model 1917 'cause they both kind of go together, right? And then this Model 1917 brazilian contract shooter kind of falls into my (low) price range and then I pick it up at the ffl, and you know - its really not that bad, certainly had some travels but the bore is GOOD and the lockup smooth, and you know, it actually looks cool with the wear, feels good in the hand, heavy but kind of balanced you know, and darn - I don't have any moon clips and I need a de-clipper so I dont slice up these soft office guy hands, and oh yea - I need another gun rug and.. is this all gonna fit in my range bag?

So anyways - finally made it to the range today, objective being put a break-in box plus thru the 1911 - it felt pretty good, but man I was all over the place but kept it (mostly) high in the target. Hopefully we will break-in better together another day.. probably need to move that sight a notch next trip.

So, then I dropped my first 6-round clip in the 1917 and used it single action thru the set, and damn if it didn't put those 6 45's on a rope dead center. Certainly wasn't me the way I was shooting earlier.. so i ran the other 4 moon clips thru and didn't it just make one smoky loud big freakin hole in the belly of that there shadow man.. No sight adjustments or break-in here - just point her, exhale and squeeze..

Hmm, gonna need some more of those moon clips, and you know, a set of those elk stags might be just the ticket, those diamond grips are still real nice and maybe I better put them away... Was online looking at holsters, might need to get one of those US holsters to go with it, and what the heck am I going to put all those loaded up moon clips in anyways?

So, then I was on gunbroker tonight, and what the heck.. maybe what I really, really need is one of those Model 1950's or maybe that 625 PC i saw - since I already have the ammo right? No wait - I shot all the boxes, I guess I need to put in another order at Midway, and you know - i probably should get the 500 case this time.. you never know when you will need them..

Hmm, I wonder what I can get on trade for that 1911..

Registered
...once "you" start putting where your 1911 is aimed, you'll change your mind about keeping it.

Registered
1911s are hard to beat Blazer .

I clean mine less often than any gun I own . They still run fine .

My S&W shoots about as good as any gun I have . And it does it effortlessly .

As said , give it some time and I think you'll be satisfied .

Glad to hear that your 1917 is still getting the job done . I've been hunting for an Army for a while .

Regards ,
George

Registered
Glad your enjoying your 1917, blazemark. I feed mine strictly hardball as that is the round it was designed to fire. I have a 625, with adjustable sights, for different grain and +P rounds. As to the 1911 - way too many shooters love this gun and the new models with adjustable sights are very accurate. That said, many years ago I talked to an old calvary soldier, he was in the service prior to world war two, they were armed with S&W 1917 revolvers and '03 Springfields', after the war broke out they were rearmed with 1911's and Garands before going overseas. He told me that his outfit's handgun scores really fell when shooting the 1911's. I figured it was probably due to their being unfamiliar with the automatic pistol - the old guy wouldn't agree - military 1911's were a bit loose to ensure function and it may have been possible his outfit was issued surplus 1911's from WW-I. He thought the Garand trade was a good trade.

Registered
Just a suggestion, but for the cost of 500 rounds of .45 ACP, you could set yourself up with a modest reloading press and dies thereby saving you enough in future ammo costs to help with all the periphery expenses of our fun.

Registered
Blazermark, While reading your post I compleatly recognized the logic and thought pattern. It sounds just like the better voices in my head. Ya know , I may need some new grips for my Brazilian, or maybe a mod. 25 ,with different grips , or maybe a convertable 25 so I can shoot 45 colt. Hmmm, maybe the pawn shops are open today? Better go look. Maybe a .32 or yeah ,yeah a .327. O geeeze, I gotta go.

Super Moderator
I'm with Snakedriver on this one. What brand and which model is your 1911. There are so many on the market it's hard to discern if you have one that's not quite up to snuff.
If it's a Colt, a Kimber or a Ruger I would generally think more practice is in order. If it's a Llama or a Rock Island Arms, it might be a loose pistol that needs to be tuned or possibly replaced. Those 5 brands are at opposite ends of the quality spectrum. There are literally dozens of manufacturers that make 1911's, and understanding the quality of each has a huge bearing on how yours will shoot.
Price point isn't always an indicator of the accuracy your pistol will give you either. Nearly any 1911 can be tuned up with aftermarket parts and good gunsmithing to turn it into an accurate pistol after all. I've heard of people spending as much as $2,500 on a 1911, and then spending another $1500 or more getting it tuned up for their style of shooting or personal preferences. I've heard of $500 1911's shooting as well as some of the more expensive models on the market, even though that's very rare. And lastly I've heard of $2500 pistols being pure junk when it comes to function or accuracy.

If it were me, I'd probably look into what will it take to get that 1911 tuned up and accurized.

Regards,
Gearchecker

Registered
Reactions: Dylan

Registered
I got a few moon clips I ended up with. If you want them they are yours. Send me a P,M, and we can work out details.

Registered
In my opinion, the Brazilian contract 1917s are a great value. They are snubbed by many because their treatment at the hands of South American solders was less than that of a safe queen. The one I had was tight and quite accurate in the hands of fellows that had keener eyesight than myself and it shot well even with hard cast bullets. My issue with them, and about all fixed sight S&W revolvers is the razor blade that is used for a front sight. The Brazilians are not pretty but they were used and I would compair them equaly to any US Army issued 1917 that saw use in The Great War.
Your 1911 accuracy issues could be a number of things, (as mentioned by my S&W friends above), and could be an easy fix. One comment I will second is the idea of setting up a reloading press instead of buying 500 rounds. That is and will always be sound advise. Reloading is not rocket science, it is a relaxing pass time (to me) and has it's own gratification. If you decide to go that route, I will be happy to supply you with some Karma brass.
A quick look found 500 rounds of 230 FMJ at a bit over $230.00 (not including shipping)
A quick look at e-bay and there are some deals (almost wish I needed another press)
DILLON SQUARE DEAL B WITH EXTRAS, 38 SPECIAL | eBay

and even better deals on single stage equipment

Reactions: DocZeus

Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 馃槑
Discussion Starter #12
To those who asked the 1911 is a NIB Remington R1 Enhanced model - so middle of the pack in terms of price, but generally decent reviews and what I thought were good features. Got it at a good price on a penny auction that died with my last bid well below $700.. My local FFL was ticked - he had one on the shelf but wanted $800+.. charged me an additional $10 on his usual transfer price..
I guess I am not immediately going to trade it off 鈥 so I would consider spiffing it up some - just not sure where to start? I've read some polishing of internals is a good thing. Next range trip I am going to bring my rest and readup in the manual on how to adjust the sights to see if I can get better results.
Hey Mick 鈥 followed that ebay link for the DILLON, looks pretty neat - go good on my bench.. but what are all those thingy鈥檚 in the picture with it for?
Just kidding 鈥 I have actually thought some about reloading 鈥 just in case ya know? Is there a 鈥淩eloading for Dummies鈥 or such book that would be helpful to a total newbie?
And then if I had a reloader setup I would have to buy more guns to justify the cost of my investment and leverage the savings I get on ammo costs right?

Registered
Hey Mick 鈥 followed that ebay link for the DILLON, looks pretty neat - go good on my bench.. but what are all those thingy鈥檚 in the picture with it for?
Just kidding 鈥 I have actually thought some about reloading 鈥 just in case ya know? Is there a 鈥淩eloading for Dummies鈥 or such book that would be helpful to a total newbie?
And then if I had a reloader setup I would have to buy more guns to justify the cost of my investment and leverage the savings I get on ammo costs right?
The web is full of info on reloading and this place is a great place to start. Combined (members) we may have a few centuries of experience in reloading (oldgungeezer has one all to himself but that was back in the 1800s so,,,:D). Down in the 'Reloading' section there are lots of questions answered (start with a single stage or progressive press) along with opinions on brands and what it takes (bare minimum) to get started along with what works, what's an alternative, stuff like that. We tend to be a helpfull bunch as when many of us started, there was no internet and learning was from a monthly magazine and most times, years old manuals. Never be bashful in asking questions, always measure twice, be sure of the powder and primer, look twice in the case. As far as more guns, no sure about that but I shoot alot more than I would if I didn't reload and that is practise and practise makes me better (but not perfect).

Reactions: USAMP

Registered
blazer,

The "A,B,C's of Reloading, Lee's 2nd Edition, and Lyman's 49th Edition, are three of many reloading books on my shelf. RCBS has a neat $10.00 DVD that is very visually oriented.

That combination of resources will more than cover the basics. I would humbly suggest you avail yourself of these materials before buying any components or hardware.

And, I hardily agree with friend Mick regarding the inherent gratification of reloading your own ammo.

Mike

Super Moderator
Blazer,
The R1 is really good pistol. It might just need some good ammo run through it it get it on target.
Reloading your own ammo is the best quality control method for accuracy ever invented.
The best thing about reloading is you can fine tune your bullet and powder combo until you get dead hit accuracy. I've seen some 1911's that'll shoot a very small ragged hole at 25 yds., and a pretty good hole at 50 yds., when they're using hand loaded ammo.
The 45 ACP is a very easy round to load for, and there is more than enough experience here to lead you down the right path quickly.
Reloading your own .45 ACP, and you should break even with your money around the 500 bullet mark as long as your sticking with a single stage press and you take the time to learn to be efficient. Powder choices are as wide as the amazon is long. Pay very close attention to the reloading manuals and you'll be confident in short order.
Another thought is you might be able to find a member here, or a friend that lives close to where you are, and they can walk you through the process. I was lucky enough to live close enough to USMC Snakedriver and BobR. They're both avid reloaders, and very precise with it too. I got to spend a day with each of them, and they showed me the basics. I even got to load some ammo for BobR with him overseeing my work. It was actually pretty fun seeing the results. It sure made me more confident that I can reload safely, and with precision. They even fed me dinner too. What a great bunch of guys here!.

It's surely something to consider.

Regards,
Gearchecker

Reactions: DocZeus

Registered
blazermark,

I started shooting 45 ACP with revolvers, specifically a M25-2 and a couple of Brazilians. (I long ago sold the Brazilians and am looking for another). Liked them so much I took a 4" M28-2 and built a 4" 45 ACP from it. That is still my American Express revolver. Eventually I decided I needed a 1911 and got one. While I got fairly proficient with it, it never gave me the warm and fuzzy feeling a good revolver does so I sold it and have no regrets. You may be one of those fine folks who just has no use for a 1911, and good for you! We are few on the ground but well served by our 45 ACP N frames!!

Registered
Original poster, what no pics!
Steve

Registered
what is this and how do you do this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts