Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
One of these has been on my wish list for many years now and for one reason or the other, I have never been able to score one....until today. Found this at my local Cabelas of all places and after some shrewd negotiation, I was able to strike a deal with them and brought it home.

This DWM Artillery Luger is dated 1916 and all numbers match (including the grip panels) with the exception of the unnumbered side plate and the incorrect 1937 aluminum base magazine. Overall it is in excellent condition with a bright bore with strong rifling. It's hard to see from the pictures, but I would rate the finish at a strong 95-96% with excellent straw on the trigger etc..

Pictured with my 1937 S/42 Luger

Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 馃槑
looks very nice, always wanted one of those myself - congrats

have a DMW P06 american eagle (9mm) with the wood mag base - i do shoot it occasionally (with a repro mag )

Premium Member
Reactions: lawdog and Injunbro

Registered
Very nice Lugers. I had the opportunity to shoot a WW1 vintage Luger one time. My first shot was right in the bullseye and that was back when I didn't shoot very much. Took a little getting used to cocking it with the toggle-lock action but it was a joy to shoot

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
That's a really nice artillery, good for you. Here is one I always wanted and finally got, a 1915 navy.
Very nice! Up until now I have stuck with collecting US military stuff in general and various military 1911's in particular. My current run on buying German guns has been more by accident than by design. However, I see a slippery slope ahead of me as I now have ten German martial handguns and a few rifles along with a sprinkling of civilian firearms. What's almost as disturbing is my OCD is kicking in and I find I am looking hard for the proper accouterments to go along with the guns.

Registered
Very nice Lugers!

I have a 1940 P08 in very nice condition, and though I've never thought much of Lugers as shooters, the design is interesting and craftsmanship excellent. Mine is all matching, other than the ubiquitous aluminum mag base, but otherwise nothing special. It does have a great deal of sentimental value, as my father brought it home as a WWII war trophy.

Premium Member
This Luger was also a WW-II bringback. Built on a "42" date Mauser receiver (the last year Lugers were produced there), it was most likely produced at the factory from spare parts, and sold by the workers to the GI. This "business" thrived at the end of the war, and in fact the guns have the name "cigarette guns" because that was often what was traded for them by the GI. It shows a couple of characteristics that would indicate it was never officially transferred to the Wehrmacht under their government contracts, even though it shows acceptance stamps. The toggle is a Mauser commercial toggle rather than the one with a "42" concealment code which you'd expect on a military contract Luger.

This pistol is all original, in it's original factory salt blued finish, all matching and stone cold mint. A remarkable pistol that looks like it was never used after it was brought home, likely stored with memories in the owner's bedroom dresser door...

BYF-42-3.jpg

BYF-42-2.jpg

BYF-42-1.jpg

Registered
Whatever you do DON"T break it . Parts are impossible to find !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts