Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I see everyone has a 1911 but if you had to choose between a 1911 or a 2nd 3rd gen .45 auto what's your choice and why. I personally love the 2nd and 3rd gens. Yes they are heavy but i like the double action and I feel they are even more reliable than a 1911 I have 5 with no malfunctions 645, 4516-1, CS45, 4506, 4553 TSW and I CCW the CS45 and the 4516-1
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,775 Posts
Before choosing one, you have to first answer the question, "what is your intended use for the firearm?"

Is it for target shooting? For concealed carry? For plinking? For hunting?

Each has advantages when used in different contexts for different purposes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,555 Posts
Like "everyone" I own a M1911 and a M1911A1. I have owned several S&W .45 caliber autos and revolvers. I have also owned a SIG 220 DAO. I currently own an M&P.45. I have never liked DA/SA handguns. I seldom carry a M1911. I do subscribe to the idea that fewer parts and functions might just result in greater reliability.

Having written the above, I yield to your "feelings", to which I concede you are fully entitled. I would add the M1911 is still in production by the original manufacturer some 111 years later while others have come and gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are correct Sir the 645 is the truck gun it goes with me to the woods and on the water. The 4506 is the bedside table. The 4553TSW is DAO and is retired. I just can't let it go. It was replaced with the 4516-1 that goes under the jacket in a shoulder rig for Sunday service and the CS45 is EDC here they are
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never said the 1911 wasn't a great and iconic pistol. I also have the S&W E series 1911. I just have always had a thing for DA/SA all steel American made reliable handguns. I like the weight it helps with recoil. Training helps with the trigger control in DA. And as man over 50 I need the .45 because with these eyes shot placement ain't what it used to be
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
I’m not sure what the differences are between all models, but hickok45 has a couple of good videos on them, I have a Remington R1 in 45acp. Now I finally painted my home, I need to go to the range..

Thewelshm
 
  • Like
Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
I own one S&W 1006 10mm which is occasionally carried. I shoot the 1911 more accurately with the better single-action trigger with zero creep. I carry a government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm around 95% of the time. The other 5% is split between revolvers, the S&W 1006 10mm, a Glock G35 .40 S&W, or a Springfield Armory XDM .40 S&W.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,861 Posts
If I understand it correctly Gen 3 semiautomatic pistols are no longer supported by S&W in regards to warranty and or service work. On the other hand its easier name firearms manufactures whom produce their version of the 1911 series pistols.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
I love me some 1911 but ... They can be pretty finicky with mags and for actual daily use and carry .. I do kinda like the DA/SA. I had a 3rd gen that I stupidly sold that was in 45 DAO. It had seen a lot of love so the trigger was absolute butter but I felt a touch more comfortable about carrying it than my 1911's. Given a choice .. I would love the old Smith DA/SA or DAO but .. without any support I would probably pass.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bob K

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,508 Posts
Our only experience with a Smith semi auto pistol is this one:



S&W M&P .40 on the bottom along with a .357 SIG conversion barrel. Also have 9mm barrel. The conversion barrels were Birthday presents to my husband one year. Fine pistol!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,266 Posts
I guess I'm the odd man out. I'm not a fan of the 1911 or .45ACP.
Like LimaCharlie, I like the 1006 in 10mm, and I also have a Glock 29 in that caliber.
Everybody has their 'druthers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
1911. My S&Ws are Shield and revolver.

 
  • Like
Reactions: ussmanlovede36
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top