Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 1911 (converted to 1911 A1) was carried by my father, First Sergeant William W. Cross, from approximately 1943 to 1945. He enlisted in January 1941 and was discharged in October 1945. The shoulder holster is original to the gun and was used by me in the 1950s to carry cap guns. The Colt works as well today as it did 90 plus years ago. My Dad's Ike jacket is shown in the second photo.

Bill

G

·
0 Posts
Finally Bill has shown us the most valuable gun in his collection. Perhaps not intrinsic value, but certainly something more.... ;)

Good on you, Bill...

giz

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Giz...You are quite correct, it is the most valuable gun I own and one of the very first guns I actually shot as a young boy growing up in eastern Washington. It will stay in the family forever as it is linked to my family's history and is invaluable.

When I went on active duty in 1970, the Army was still using the .45 and I had the pleasure of qualifying with one.

Bill

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Bill thats your most impressive post yet. I have my mi garand that I carried in the marine corps, It will stay in the family. :)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Stunning..........

I can't help but be overcome with insane jealousy when I see something like this.

To be one who owns a firearm with a history such as this one has - handed down and kept in the family. Nothing like this exists in my family.

People constantly rant and rave on all the gun boards about owning this or that - how my new fangled XYZ is better than your new fangled XYZ..........

It all pales in comparison. It's all moot, because there is nothing - nothing that is better than this.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
LeMat said:
Stunning..........

I can't help but be overcome with insane jealousy when I see something like this.

To be one who owns a firearm with a history such as this one has - handed down and kept in the family. Nothing like this exists in my family.

People constantly rant and rave on all the gun boards about owning this or that - how my new fangled XYZ is better than your new fangled XYZ..........

It all pales in comparison. It's all moot, because there is nothing - nothing that is better than this.
Very true! I would love to have the 1911A1 I had when I was on active duty, but thats not going to happen, yet I do have my Great grandfathers 1897, and my grandfather on my mothers side 1903 Colt. Neither of those will be going anywhere!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Bill,
As another long term viewer of your posts, and one who has sought out your advice and knowledge, I have 2 words: Thank you!. For this post and all of the others too.
Geoff

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I agree, that is the coolest gun you have ever shown us. All I can say is thanks!! :ymapplause:

·
Registered
656 Posts
My dad brought home a 1911 from WW II but mom had to sell it along with all of his other guns when he died and there was no insurance.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Very cool! BTW, what makes a 1911 a 1911A1?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for sharing the photos and story. The Bloody Bucket patch of the 28 Infantry Division caught my eye. Are you familiar with his WWII history and do you know what Company he was First Sergeant of?

G

·
0 Posts
That is a 1911 frame with 1911A1 short trigger,Arched Mainspring housing and Slide.Notice there are no cuts behind the trigger on frame.That makes it an early 1911.

Ken

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just want to echo the comments of the other members. Mighty fine Bill,mighty fine!
f.t.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow, he made E-8 if FOUR YEARS in an infantry outfit during WWII!

I'll bet he went through some serious, serious crap. Did he ever share some of the battles he participated in. We'd love to know. He was surely one of the best in "America's Greatest Generation!"

If that 1911 (armory upgraded to 1911A1 could talk . . .

T.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I missed this post the 1st time, sure am glad that it got brought back to the top. 1+ to what LeMat and others have stated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts