Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded for this pistol not knowing anything about it. It is a .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model Conversion. Think it was originally chambered in .455 Mark II. But it is now 45 Colt converted. My question is in reference to the British Proof Markings and to any info on this pistol as to where it went and was this conversion possibly done at S & W. I have not seen any with this low a serial number. Does a lower number affect the value? It has all matching numbers, even on the cylinder. Finally, where would be a good place to sell this if I decided to do so?
Thank you for any help.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,462 Posts
You are addicted!

I'm nearly speechless, that's all I can add right now.

Gearchecker

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
First post and its a Triplelock, well butter my butt and call me a biscuit! Welcome USARR.

This going to strike you as a bit off, but based on my reading of Charles Pate's U.S. Handguns of WWII page 108 which defines Birmingham View Marks, early 1952 is when the revolver was submitted for commercial proof. The Broad Arrow (head) is the original military acceptance mark, under that is the inspector's I.D./location (Enfield). The BV (Birmingham View), BP (proof) and NP (Nitro Proof) and the NOTENGLISHMAKE were with the viewer's mark were standard 1912-1955 after that point a crowned BNP became the norm.

I am betting there may also be large oppossing arrowheads (sold out of stores) and crossed flags on the frame and cylinder (military proof).

Late civil proofing is a product of the circumstance that WWI era British officers were required to purchase their weapons. If they did so from government stores it was military not civil marked. They were permitted to retain them afterword. King's commission old bean. Later when they passed on, grew old etc. civil proof was required to enter commerce.

As for conversion to either .45ACP/AR or .45 Colt this was a very common practice in North America. It most likely was not factory, but if the gun was returned to the factory marks found under the grip will reveal that fact. Converted .455s are generally the norm.

Triplelocks in virtually any serviceable condition are in demand. I want one. Sell it in the classifieds here.

Waidmann

·
Super Moderator
19,462 Posts
Okay,
Now that I've recomposed myself I can try to answer the real basics on your revolver. Each of the proof marks tells a story. as to where it was and what division of the military it was assigned to if I remember correctly. there are a few experts here that can decipher the stampings. More than likely it wasn't converted at S&W. Gunsmiths all over the country have learned how to convert these without too much trouble. The low serial number adds much interest, and some additional value, but I'm not versed enough to give you an idea how much. Again, lets let the experts chime in.
Selling it here in the forum classifieds would be a very good place to list it. You already have a captive interested audience.

Good luck,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Glad I peaked some interest. Originally I was uninterested but I have enjoyed the history. I have not been able to find the classifieds.

·
Super Moderator
19,462 Posts
Click "FORUM " at the very top of this webpage, then scroll down to the bottom where it has WTB - WTT - WTS Forum section.
You're there.
Read the classified rules please!..
They're very basic.
You must list which state you're in, and post a set price for the sale.
Photos, photos, and more photos, are the key to getting it sold quickly. Be honest, be fair.

Regards,
Gearchecker
Pretty simple

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
The Standard Catalog shows a different serial number range for the 455 Hand Ejectors, First Model Hand Ejectors (455) started in 1914 with serial numbers 1-5000. 1st Model Hand Ejectors in 44 caliber started in 1908 at serial number one, in 1909 serials started at 2050 - the 2nd model Hand Ejectors (455) started in 1915 at 5001 -7455. I was puzzled over a 1914 issue first model H.E. having such a low serial number, so went to the SWSC to find an answer.

Hank

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Hank,
My recollection is that among the first so many were pulled off the shelf and re-worked, and other odd happenings.

Comment?

Bill

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Bill, in truth I only know what I read in the SWSC. I'm not arguing your comment, as a matter of fact, my first suspicions were that S&W to fill the British order would gab anything they had on hand. The fact remains that the order came in 1914 for the 455 caliber N-frames - However S&W converted 660 44 caliber first models to 455 for shipment and so your thoughts are well put. As expleined there may be some confusion on serial numbers.

But I can assure you that the serial number (low 4 digit) on my 5 inch first model 44 Hand Ejector falls within first year production.

Regards, Hank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts