Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’m trying to help my wife’s mom, she came across a 32 Winchester ctg just wanted to let her know something. I just wonder the handle appears bigger than most. No pins on back of ejector. Anything would be greatly appreciated. ?she has a few. This one just has a look to it! B8631378-E1E1-4494-A548-C3C24E033C4A_1571045154292.jpeg also have some proof marks on ends of 32 Winchester ctg I found a police positive ? I don’t think she wants to sell. I told her not to shoot today’s ammo just Incase

Attachments

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Given it is marked ".32 Winchester" as opposed to .32 WCF or .32-20 it way older. The grips are some homemade concoction. The assembly number means next to nothing. The one on the butt counts but the cylinder and barrel likely bear that number. The patent dates might help. It's a pre-WWI gun (likely). A detailed inspection of the barrel is always prudent with .32-20's. There were in this era blackpowder through high velocity rifle only loadings. The popularity of the caliber fell rapidly after WWI. Sentimental/legacy value would far outweigh any economic one. Factory ammo is available but pricey. Whether it is a 1902 or 1905 model the serial will reveal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your help. That was what has been thrown me off. The handle must be hand made. Talk is he was a sheriff. I also have been scratching my head on a 1863 colt police pocket of navy cal. Also a H&R 32 I’m kinda wondering if these were before Winchester 32 ?? This guy really liked his 32 cal. He also had a 765 1915 32. Automatic. ????

Attachments

·
Registered
19,444 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice handguns. :)

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
The Spanish .32 is commonly called a "Ruby" style. The .32-20 dates to 1882 as a blackpowder rifle cartridge. The .32 S&W dates to 1878 also in the blackpowder era. The Colt you can date at proofhouse .com (by serial number). Maybe you are looking the sheriff's trophies? The H&R and Ruby were not high end and at the time they date to the cap & ball was likely old, obsolete etc. Lost in the sands of time....

·
Registered
16,227 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Those are some nice old guns from around the world with a lot of history to be uncovered. The 32-20 is a great forgotten cartridge that was just overtaken by the 38 Special in shear sales and LEO contracts. The 32 ACP and 32 S&W long are just fun to shoot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts