Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I would check under the Pachmayr grips and replace them with wood as soon as practical. They are notorious for "sweating" and causing rust on the frame beneath the grips.

If the gun is in pristine condition (difficult to tell from the photo) three times the price you paid would not be outrageous.

·
Registered
309 Posts
A dash-5 at $300 in that shape is a real deal, but a dash-2 for that price is unreal. Your revolver came with walnut magna stocks, like these on my M66-1, which is the stainless steel version of your blued gun. That's a real beauty you found, I can't believe what you paid for it. My stainless gun, although a dash-1, is a later (1980) production than yours. The series numbers on the M66 don't run the same as the M19, because it is a newer model. However, except for the type steel, these two are identical.

Where are you in NC? I live outside of Hickory, north of Charlotte.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If a friend of mine (friend not aquaintince) I would give them a nice gift of something he likes or they are interested in. at $300 he gave you a great gun at a third of what he could have sold it for with not much effort. If they have the grips or box offer mhim something that brings the total closer to $600. you still get a great deal and you dont screw your friend just because he did not know an from a block of wood y better. but thats me know others wont agree. I had been in this positon myself. not with a gun but with a guitar and I went back and gave my friend more cash when we found out that the guitar had some parts that were worth more than the guitar itself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A dash-5 at $300 in that shape is a real deal, but a dash-2 for that price is unreal. Your revolver came with walnut magna stocks, like these on my M66-1, which is the stainless steel version of your blued gun. That's a real beauty you found, I can't believe what you paid for it. My stainless gun, although a dash-1, is a later (1980) production than yours. The series numbers on the M66 don't run the same as the M19, because it is a newer model. However, except for the type steel, these two are identical. View attachment 556714

Where are you in NC? I live outside of Hickory, north of Charlotte.
I'm from Concord Nc. I have already started looking for wood grips. I think it will make it look even better

·
Premium Member
21,828 Posts
I'm from Concord Nc.
Well, last week the most knowledgeable group of S&W collectors, the S&W Collector's Association, was in Concord for their annual symposium. They also had sales tables and you could have picked up the correct grips if you could have figured a way to get in...it's closed to the public. Doc (member 1911) was there selling some guns and grips. I don't believe he had any round butt K frame wood grips. I have a couple sets of elkhorn stags and I believe some presentation grips. Send me a message (conversation) if you want me to dig through my grip box.

Reactions: Hair Trigger

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well, last week the most knowledgeable group of S&W collectors, the S&W Collector's Association, was in Concord for their annual symposium. They also had sales tables and you could have picked up the correct grips if you could have figured a way to get in...it's closed to the public. Doc (member 1911) was there selling some guns and grips. I don't believe he had any round butt K frame wood grips. I have a couple sets of elkhorn stags and I believe some presentation grips. Send me a message (conversation) if you want me to dig through my grip box.
Why is it I always hear about stuff like this a day, or week, after it's over? Heck, I'd have joined the association to get to attend. That's only an hour from home. My older daughter lives in Kannapolis, right next door to Concord.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm from Concord Nc. I have already started looking for wood grips. I think it will make it look even better
Do you want factory originals, or something aftermarket? I have Altamont stocks on my M66-1 now, so I can preserve the originals. They are fairly nice aftermarket stocks, reasonable price, always fit perfectly, and several styles available. They are laminated, but very nicely finished. of course, there are other makes available, plenty of stuff to choose from. This is them:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If a friend of mine (friend not aquaintince) I would give them a nice gift of something he likes or they are interested in. at $300 he gave you a great gun at a third of what he could have sold it for with not much effort. If they have the grips or box offer mhim something that brings the total closer to $600. you still get a great deal and you dont screw your friend just because he did not know an from a block of wood y better. but thats me know others wont agree. I had been in this positon myself. not with a gun but with a guitar and I went back and gave my friend more cash when we found out that the guitar had some parts that were worth more than the guitar itself.
If
If it was someone else I would have went back and paid more but if you know this guy he will screw anyone out of every dollar he can lol. And when I say anyone that includes his family so I just thought about what would he do and I'm good with the price he made
Do you want factory originals, or something aftermarket? I have Altamont stocks on my M66-1 now, so I can preserve the originals. They are fairly nice aftermarket stocks, reasonable price, always fit perfectly, and several styles available. They are laminated, but very nicely finished. of course, there are other makes available, plenty of stuff to choose from. This is them: View attachment 556923
Something like those would be perfect for now.

·
Premium Member
21,828 Posts
Why is it I always hear about stuff like this a day, or week, after it's over? Heck, I'd have joined the association to get to attend.
Join for $60 and $50 per year thereafter. The SWCA will send you a packet of information on the symposium plus 3 very high quality journals every year. Next one is in Glendale AZ in June next year.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Something like those would be perfect for now.
Here's a link:

Handgun Grips | Altamont Company

If you want something a bit larger, but not as big as the rubber ones, they have a nice combat grip. One issue with Altamont can be their turnaround time. It can take as little as 2-3 weeks, as long as 2 months, to get a set, depending on what they are. I really like them and I'm willing to wait to get what I want, and I have 5 or 6 guns with their stocks. I just got a set this week for my M41 target pistol, ordered them second week of May. I tend to like rosewood the best, but they have many colors, walnut, faux ivory, and some exotics.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts