Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16,682 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm not new to firearms but I am new to older revolvers. I found a smith and Wesson 19-5 with a 2.5 inch barrel for under 300 bucks. The gun is in great shape. I'm just wondering what the actual value of the gun is and any other information anyone has. View attachment 556550
You sure it wasn't a stolen gun?? Those are running in the $750 to $1000 range right now! Wow, what a bargain on a great revolver

·
Premium Member
21,846 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your friend gave you a terrific deal. It would be a terrific deal at twice the price. The grips on it are not original. You might ask your friend if he has the box, papers, tools and original grips. That would be a complete package and up the value.

Reactions: Birdhunter6

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a later version without the pinned barrel. At some point S&W did go the the rubber grips, but I believe yours came with wood. Your gun has a bright blued finish, not the matte finish of the Diplomatic Service gun
Thank you for the info. I'm new to the older ones so it really helps. I didn't know anything about them but when he said he wanted 280 for it I said sold lol

·
Premium Member
21,846 Posts
The grips on your gun are made by Pachmayr, not S&W. As Jonesy says, S&W did put some rubber grips on their M19-7's made by Uncle Mike. Your gun probably looked like this from the factory.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The K frame Combat Magnum was the first .357 Magnum on the medium frame. That made it very popular with peace officers. It became the Model 19 in 1957. Your 19-5 was shipped between 1982 & 88. If you post your serial number we can get you closer. (replace last couple digits with x if you wish.) Yours has the pinned barrel of the earlier -4.

Originally most users of these lighter handier revolvers practiced with lower pressure .38 special ammunition and loaded .357s for duty/defense. When "practice with your duty load" became a thing the K frame magnums weren't up to a steady diet of the high pressure ammo. Most of us avoid shooting the light 125 grain bullet .357s in these pistols. As a general rule they perform well with 158 grain magnums. They will eat any commercial .38 special load with no problem. My 19-3 likes a target load of 158 grain plated flat points in .357 brass at +P .38 pressure.

Revolver Wood Everyday carry Glove Gun accessory

Your 3" has a round butt. My 4" has a square butt. Mine also wears Pachmayr grips. I admit they aren't pretty but they are very comfortable to shoot.

Enjoy your revolver.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm not new to firearms but I am new to older revolvers. I found a smith and Wesson 19-5 with a 2.5 inch barrel for under 300 bucks. The gun is in great shape. I'm just wondering what the actual value of the gun is and any other information anyone has. View attachment 556550
You need to check the dash number inside the yoke. The gun in the photo has a pinned barrel and the dash 5 guns were not pinned or recessed. To collectors the pinned/recessed guns are more valuable than the dash 5's and newer.

The 19-5 Diplomatic Security Service guns were ordered with the black matte (some call it "Black Magic") finish and the Pachmayr Pro grips. The grips have a "window" on the bottom to make the serial number visible. S&W did several guns with that finish (the Model 36-6 and a variant of the 686). The finish is very fragile and holster wear will show up quickly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The grips on your gun are made by Pachmayr, not S&W. As Jonesy says, S&W did put some rubber grips on their M19-7's made by Uncle Mike. Your gun probably looked like this from the factory.
I'll have to see if he has the factory ones. It definitely looks better with the original wood
Welcome to the forum!

Looks like a fine 19-5!
After getting home and looking at the gun it's a 19-2. I'll post the serial number later. That's everyone for the help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You need to check the dash number inside the yoke. The gun in the photo has a pinned barrel and the dash 5 guns were not pinned or recessed. To collectors the pinned/recessed guns are more valuable than the dash 5's and newer.

The 19-5 Diplomatic Security Service guns were ordered with the black matte (some call it "Black Magic") finish and the Pachmayr Pro grips. The grips have a "window" on the bottom to make the serial number visible. S&W did several guns with that finish (the Model 36-6 and a variant of the 686). The finish is very fragile and holster wear will show up quickly.
I checked and it's a 19-2. Serial numbers are k795xxx. I think it was made in the mid 60s

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:ROFLMAO:
Sorry for my previous bad info.

Doesn't look like a -5 because it's NOT!

As stated above you got an even better deal.
I asked the guy twice if he was sure 280 was enough and he said yes so I'm really happy with it. Even happier after finding out a little more about it. It will definitely be one that I'll always keep

·
Premium Member
21,846 Posts
I'm surprised someone hasn't already asked you if you'd like to double your money. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts