Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 19-5 that I picked up the other day that misfired constantly. I changed the mainspring and strain screw (both were not factory original) and the misfires improved somewhat. It still misses a couple of times per cylinder. I measured the cylinder-frame gap with an empty case in place and it was the same as my 66-1, as was the barrel cylinder gap. It has minimal end shake and locks up pretty tight. The hammer hose OAL is slightly more than 66-1 and 15-4. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what would be causing the missfires?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried factory .38 special, .357 mag., and two different handloads that all were fired successfully in a security six and the 66.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
If you've brought the mainspring back to nominal and the strain screw is properly tensioned, look for obstructions that may be dragging on the hammer during it's fall. Do you notice this issue more on double action, single action or mixed to both?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed it during both single and double action. Maybe more during single action though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have the same impact during single and double action? I think the fall times are different but am not sure about strength of impact.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also had to clean up a burr on the side plate and a slight lip on the left side of the frame that was leaving drag marks on the hammer.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
My HP misbehaved kinda like that. Cleaned the living snot out of it and it was 100%

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I need to do a detail strip and see if it helps. It is in good shape and would make a nice shooter. I hate to see it not working properly and end up stuck in the safe.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
Woodie, I'm way out of my league here, these other guy's are the expert gunsmiths, but since you mentioned some parts had definitely been replaced from factory stock and the side-plate has obviously been opened, is there a chance the hammer or even trigger were also replaced? They might have been on some kind of modification-kick and you simply have more mis-matched parts. Again, I wouldn't be the one to tell you if they are correct, but just throwing it out there for consideration. I've seen it happen in cars and electronic equipment, why not a gun?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Remove the grips, take off the sideplate, spray the living Bat-Pi## out of it, let it sit for awhile, spray it again, drain and dry. Lightly oil the pins and put it back together. Should run fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts