Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

Picked up this 19-4 recently, has the box, paperwork, cleaning kit, etc. It appears to be excellent condition. It does appear to have been fired as there is powder residue around the front (muzzle end) of every other hole in the cylinder.

My question is, how does one care for a nickel plated gun. I assume that oil will do it neither harm nor good? Just the non-nickel parts need to be lubricated to prevent rust?

Thanks for any replies. I have never owned a nickel plated pistol before, so this may be a somewhat retarded question to those that have.

http://www.atarian-alps.com/+temp/SWForum/19-4.jpg

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Be careful with bore cleaner. A nickle gun is copper coated before it is nickle plated. The nickle adhers to the copper.If there is a microscopic hole or a tiny flaked area and the bore cleaner gets under it. It will eat the copper from behind it and the nickle will flake.I use carnuba wax on my nickle model 29.I lightly coat the trigger and hammer with gun oil and the bore.I am very careful with bore cleaner and make sure I dont get any on the finish.
I dont know what most use to take off the black on the front of the cylinder.I just scrub it a little with a tooth brush and gun oil to knock the thicker carbon off of it and wipe it clean and leave it black myself.But I shoot it now and then and feel if I try to keep all the black off of it I will wear the nickle off of it to.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've been told that Smith & Wesson never copper plated under there nickel guns. But I've also been told not to use any bore cleaner with ammonia in it. Any good gun oil and wax is what I use.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
as far as the surface is concerned I would recommend an Outter's guncloth. It won't harm the undercoating and will remove any grime and fingerprints. Other than that, as the others stated just a little oil for lubrication is needed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is CLP safe for use on Nickel finishes?
RR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts