Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've gotten stuck on the disassembly of this thing. Am I on the right track with using a dowel to hold down the spring? Haven't found a Youtube on this one.

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow...that would be surprising, considering the prodigous number of them! If YT videos could be taxed, the national debt could be paid off in a hurry.
Yes, but everything is post 1905. That little spring I'm trying to holding down is the big difference. That said I would love to eat my hat if you would post a link.

Paul
Why not just take the spring out?
Is that the procedure? The only mention I have found about this involved a dowel rod. It also looked like there were wear marks in those two spots from the gunsmith who coated this. I'm not 100% sure how the spring attaches, but it looks like there is a pin attached at a 90* angle going through the frame. I'd rather nor go that route, unless that's what you're supposed to do. I'm hoping someone who has done this can give me some direction.

Paul

·
Premium Member
18,627 Posts
An expert on another forum says:

When the main-spring tension screw is free, remove the main spring, and then the
hammer, and then the cylinder assembly, and then the cylinder release mechanism.

Now you can double-action the trigger, and you will see how it compress's that
secondary spring. You can make a little piece of wood, or brass, that will catch,
on its upper end, in the end of the slot for the cylinder release slide. The other
end should catch that second spring, just below that levering piece. You fit this
tight with the trigger fully pulled pack. This will hold that rebound spring down.
You can now release the trigger, and lift out the whole assembly.

Now - if you want, take a pair of pliers, wrap the end with tape, and catch hold
of the end of the rebound spring. Tighten up, and that holding piece will come free.
Release the pliers gently. If you want, but its not necessary, you can remove
that rebound spring. Generally, its not necessary to take it out.

To reassemble, compress the spring with the pliers, put back the temporary retaining
pin, and then drop in the trigger assembly. Squeeze the trigger enough to release
the holding pin, and then reassemble the rest of the lockwork.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Guy,

I'm pretty sure I am following what the author wrote. I will try that tonight and make a video if I get it to work. I really like this little gun so want to keep the rust out of it. Of additional interest, I just discovered that a prior owner inscribed their initials under the grips. Hopefully Mr. P.H. Pollard would be pleased.

Paul

·
Premium Member
18,627 Posts
You're welcome. There may be pictures of the above procedure in the forum I referred you to. However, many valuable pictures on this and other forums were lost when Photo Bucket torched its members when they refused to be extorted. For that reason, I either upload my pictures to the forum as attachments or put them in an album on the site where they'll be safe.

OBTW, "Antique Firearms Assembly/Disassembly" by David Chicoine covers the 1899/1902 lockworks.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a bummer about the photos, I will try and reach out to the guys on the other forum and see if they are still active. Again, thank you for the direction.

Sincerely,

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts