Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
My BIL picked one up relatively Cheap. I don’t know anything about them. The stock is a tad rough but the bore and action are slick and clean. He wants it to shoot 308s out of for deer hunting. I see some conflict on the Internet about small ring Mauser and 308/7.62x51 being shot out of them. Any observations or advice about this rtfle?
Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I would not personally shoot .308 Winchester out of a small ring Mauser. Since there is no Chicano Mauser, Chile maybe? Anyway several experiences I'll share. What was the gun previously? The 7.63 Belgian caliber? If so a .311 or .312 (.303) bullet is a correct fit. If it was a 7 X 57 and was rebored and rechambered, I'd look for the 7.62 CETME loading which I believe is what the Spaniards did to their small ring conversions. Last thought, it's a military rifle and what is its battlesight zero? 300 meters is not uncommon and you would be very high. FYI Brownells sells over height replacement front sights you can file down to zero. If the volley sight is functional you may want to see if that offers a solution.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17,303 Posts
Think I'd load some 308 Palma rounds, light charge, medium weight pill. 308 Palma brass is small rifle primer. Not sure if anyone does factory rounds in 308 Palma, never looked.

Reactions: needsmostuff

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would not personally shoot .308 Winchester out of a small ring Mauser. Since there is no Chicano Mauser, Chile maybe? Anyway several experiences I'll share. What was the gun previously? The 7.63 Belgian caliber? If so a .311 or .312 (.303) bullet is a correct fit. If it was a 7 X 57 and was rebored and rechambered, I'd look for the 7.62 CETME loading which I believe is what the Spaniards did to their small ring conversions. Last thought, it's a military rifle and what is its battlesight zero? 300 meters is not uncommon and you would be very high. FYI Brownells sells over height replacement front sights you can file down to zero. If the volley sight is functional you may want to see if that offers a solution.

Good luck.
Didn’t check my post - auto correct changed it from CHILANO. It does not look to be rebored or re-lined. He took it out of the stock and it did not appear to silver soldered around the action. So it is a Chilean rifle? I’ve heard bad things about rifles and ammo from Chile. It says Lowe Berlin on the action. My BIL has made his living with modern military weapons since we were teens and really has a thing for old military bolts. He got it cheap or he wouldn’t have picked it up. I’m sure he got it for way less than $100 or he wouldn’t have jumped.
The small ring Mausers cock on closing if I’m not mistaken. A bad thing for a bolt gun if I remember my past reading correctly. Doesn’t Brownell sell something to change it to cock on opening?
So the 308 is too much for the gun because it is a small ring?
Waidmann, Sidecarflip, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
I've built a bunch of rifles on Mauser 98 actions but wouldn't get anywhere near someone trying to shoot a 7.62x51 out of a 95 (small ring) action. Mausers are strong & it might survive... or it might remove important parts of your body. I'd rebarrel to something much lighter. Brownells used to sell the cock on opening conversions, probably still do.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
YO Okiewind,
Not a problem IF your BIL reloads. Lots of reduced loads out there . I'm currently making up some bottom end 308 slowed down to 1600-1700fps , cast bullets and pressures at 13,000 PSI. Factory ammo can exceed 60,000 PSI
Lots of "middle ground" to find what fits that rifle.
Model 1893/95 rifles. ? Lots out there still working fine but even in the common 7x57 should not be pushed hard. 2 locking lugs instead of 3 on a model 1898. Cock on closing not bad ,,,, once you get used to it. Think Enfield. Military designers thought it was better/faster for extracting a fired case.
All these same fears were applied to a boatload of Israeli 308 rifles imported years ago. Also many Spanish Mauser 308 conversions were feared but seem to have never really failed unless stupidity was involved.

If it headspaces well just avoid factory ammo and load them down a little . It will club deer for a long time.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
The Spaniards and several South American countries converted small ring and large ring Mausers to the 7.62 X 51 chambering. In our case it was .30-06 to 7.62 NATO chamber inserts. Anyway these guns were held in a national reserve role. The CETME rounds are supposedly a lighter load than 7.62 NATO. What anyone's military considers service life, acceptable risk etc. is anyone's guess.

In the case of a 7 X 57 conversion there should be enough metal to bore all the way. The '98 action (1909) Argentines I saw twenty odd years ago were simple rechambers to .30-06. So it took reloading with a .303 Bullet (.311/.312) to achieve any accuracy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts