Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going out in a half an hour to put this one thru it's paces. 24" Octagon Barrelled 32-20 that dates to 1900. Gun is in good useable condition with a decent bore. All the attention is going to get is a good internal cleaning and some detailing to the outside... ;)

giz

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Hey Giz, you could have at least raked up the leaves!! kihfL

Jokes aside, that is a nice rifle, be sure to let us know how it goes.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two inches at 50 yards. That's from steadying it on my shooting bag. If I put it into a rest I think she'd tighten up some more. Going to reload for this so I should be able to improve on the factory fodder. Overall, very pleased with it's 100 percent reliability, smoothness of action, and accuracy. She's a keeper... :)

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Giz,

If you're gonna shoot that pre-nickle steel barrel very much, you might wanna consider cast lead.

Bore diameters vary considerably in these rifles from the late 19th Century, so you may actually get better targets from a bullet sized to the bore and sometimes less than perfect bores shoot better with lead.

'Careful with those sideplates when you pull that '73 down. Those soft steel lips gall easily and threads strip out with annoying regularity.

I have some experiance with these King's Patent Guns. If you need any help, drop me a line.

Drew

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good Drew. Rained out weekend, maybe I can shoot down to Sebago and drop off your cleaned up Muzzleloader and take a lesson in detail cleaning a 1873... :)

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Call me at home (not the cell) before you come down.... I may be going pneumonia hunting (err, duck hunting) if it's blowing hard onshore...

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I traded for one of those in that same caliber when I was in high school - back in the mid 1960s. It was an accurate shooter and I quickly found out that .32 WCF is a lot more lethal in a rifle than "experts" would have you believe. My only complaint with that particular example was that the spring steel extractor was overly stiff and chewed up the rims on my precious .32-20 cases as it snapped onto the cartridge case.

In .32 WCF, a '73 Winchester rifle is quite heavy and somewhat overbuilt, with most of the weakness being in the toggle-link lock-up of the action. I read everything I could find about the M-1873 and got to worrying about action strength. I found a source for modern steel toggle-link replacements, and dealt with that concern. I eventually traded the '73 off for something else I desperately had to have....

I wonder if your 1900 example has tougher steel than the early ones?

xtm

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
That sure is a neat old Winchester you got yourself there Giz!

·
Super Moderator
32,508 Posts
Very nice old Winchester there, Giz! kfjdrfirii

Am I the only one who has figured out where all the old Winchesters are going to? :lol:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
One would think that demand for the old M-1873 would've dropped to nearly nothing with the intoduction of the superior JMB-designed M-1892 - but strong demand continued. Winchester kept the M-1873 in their catalog until 1919, and even built and sold a few more from leftover parts until ~1925! Strong legacy for a rifle with a "weak" action.... ;)

xtm

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Xtm Even though the 1892 has a stronger action, It's still ugly :mrgreen: I have one in 30-06 and It's a great rifle. But It's still ugly.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
c pierce said:
Xtm Even though the 1892 has a stronger action, It's still ugly :mrgreen: I have one in 30-06 and It's a great rifle. But It's still ugly.
CP,

You must be thinking about the 1895.

Ugly? Not hardly! I love these Art Deco Winchesters.... Been collecting them since the 1970's.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Your right drew, my mistake :eek: Between my colts marlins smiths and win the numbers seem to run together. I'm getting old but I still have the same passion for well made guns. :)

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Anybody know what year Winchester started making the M-1873 action frames out of steel instead of soft iron?

Drew,
OT, but I love M-1895s, too - absolutely my favorite JMB-designed Winchester. JMO, but when the box mag. is fully loaded, my '95 balances and carries better than my '86 with the tubular mag. full of heavy cartridges. Most folks compare 'em empty and declare that the '86 is superior.

xtm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts