Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to get thoughts on what the lack of original grips does to the overall value of this revolver.

18-4.jpg

I believe the gun is in 95% condition (disregarding thr grips), with slight muzzle wear. The finish is rich and deep with no discolorations, but there are very slight drag marks on the cylinder. Everything is tight, with no play. The collector value is obviously diminshed due to the grips, but by how much? Does that automatically drop the firearm to a PPGS Fair / NRA Good condition since it is missing all the original parts? I love the look of these particular guns, and it seems that when I find one it is either completely worn out or in pristine condition. I am looking for a very nice shooter, that I can be proud to show off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What ever the cost of a set of grips to return it to original configuration, between $45 t0 $75 depending on wood and style. The M18 is a very desirable S&W and there would be buyers of it regardless of the grips as they are an easy remedy.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It looks like a very nice shooter that you could also be proud of. Buy it and put on a set of non-diamond magnas for about $50 and you are good to go. Collector value wont be diminished that much.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Your Model 18-4 (1977), Model K-22 Combat Masterpiece, (.22) built on the square butt K target frame, came with Walnut Magna style grips with S&W medallions and diamond around the screw escutcheon. You can still find them, and I recently saw several pair in various condition for sale at a local gun show. For a "shooter", the missing original grips wouldn't bother me at all and I would be more than happy to find one in that shape. Of course the original box and all the goodies increases the value. You could always pick up a set of period K frame grips. The ones on it look pretty comfortable for target work. Try it out.
Nice gun!

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Only value lost, if any, is the cost of the grips. MOST of the S&W's I have do NOT have numbered grips. Check e-bay, and g-broker and a nice set will come along.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts