Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any .17HMR fans out there besides me?

I picked up this Savage 93R17-BV about 2 years ago, when it was flavor of the day. Since then, I've heard a lot of guys have sold their HMR's as the cost of the ammunition is about equal to cheap .223 centerfire ammo. I've decided to keep mine as I believe the .17HMR fills the niche between .22 rimfires & .22 centerfires.
It's an absolute blast to shoot @ 100 yds. - accurate, consistant, with almost no recoil. And it's death on groundsquirrels & crows.

Bruce

Savage 93R17-BV w/ 6-24x42 Tasco Varmint scope.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I have never shot one. But they interest me for wacking gophers would be a hell of a way to keep your shooting up to par for long range shooting. There are some guys here wack coyotes with them.Looks like a serious little rifle with the bull barrel and big scope and that stock is beautiful.I have heard a lot of good things about a 17 remington. That may be a another option because they can be reloaded.Even 22 long rifle is going up. Getting where nothing is cheap to shoot any more just some are cheaper than others.Old Obama and his crew have some realy creative things brewing to make sure ammo is going to be ungodly espensive if they get there way.They also have some things planned to make reloading virtualy impossible to.Targeting not only guns themselves but ammo to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
onenut58 -

I probably wouldn't use it for coyotes, unless it was the only rifle on hand. Perfect for gophers tho.
I also had it with me on my last trip to Montana and had a chance to use it on prairie dogs. Every time we moved and set back-up to target the critters, we would start with .22 rimfires out to 75yds., I'd switch to the .17HMR to 150yds., from there out we'd use .22 centerfires.
Too much fun!

Bruce

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Where I come from we call praire dogs gophers.Yeah I would not think they are not big enough to be a good coyote gun but there are some guys who still like to use them for it.I know a guy who bought his 12 year old son a 257 roberts to hunt elk with (DUMB).Of course I know a couple guys one bought a 8mm magnum for elk hunting and another a 458 win mag.The opposite extreme but just as (DUMB).I was thinking of getting a 17 hmr myself but decided against it for the same reasons ammo being out ragous. But I still think it would be a kick ass fun little rifle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts