Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine breaks at 50 oz, too much IMHO, for proper target work.

It's smooth enough from years and bricks of use by previous owner. And the wide trigger reduces the impression of that much spring tension.

My 627/610 etc all measure in the 20-30 oz range, which is quite beneficial to my range use.

I've visited the FAQ page and don't really see the poundage discussed much, save for the "3.5#" weight tidbit 500 Mag so kindly posts.

My cowboy SAA are set in the 2-2 1/2# range also.

How can I have let this 17-4 go untreated for so long?

Discussion of 'best' setting for target 22 anyone?

OK.....installed new springs....now at a very pleasant 30 oz.....will take for range trial in a few days....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am assuming you are talking about the trigger weight in single action, correct?

Most trigger weight rules call for a minimum 2.5 pound trigger pull. All of my competition guns the require weight in beofre a match are set just a half a hair over 2.5 pounds to ensure I don't get DQ'd. 30 ounces, or just under two pounds might be just a little too light.

In reality, smooth is better than light.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jvp9gjpa

yes....smooth IS the goal for me too....

slicked up a m31....now it takes 6" steel plates at 25 yards very easily....

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
What springs did you go with and how much are they?My 17-4 is smooth but definately heavy compared to my 48-4.I dont have a quage. I guess I should buy one or get some one to measure it for me. But the difference between the 17 and 48 are pretty obvious.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you would like a lighter DA trigger, then change the rebound spring to something lighter. I like the 14LB range with the original full power main spring. The rebound spring is what resets the trigger. If you go too light the trigger won't reset and that won't be too much fun when your shooting it.
You can also change the main spring to something lighter but you may have to be selective on the ammo it will reliably shoot.

I buy the springs from http://www.gunsprings.com/ and the springs are cheap, a couple bucks, well worth the experimenting your looking for.
Check out the tools needed and the tear down notes in the FAQ.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry, I lost track of this thread....

I had my smith put the Brownell set that is "one step down" from the stock springs. Love it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts