Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I friend recently got interested in shooting. He whas been to the range with me several times, shooting my assortment of Smiths. He loved my K-22, premodel 17 so we went on a hunt for a Model 17. Picked this one up , it is almost too nice to shoot. I estimate the round count in the hundreds.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Nice looking K-22 there Rob!

-2's were built between 1961-1967 when the market was Smith Starved.... these are not that easily found.

Your pal needs to get a pair of Diamond Targets on that gun.....

Drew

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Many moons ago, I bought a M-17-4 NIB. It became a shooter later that day. I have never regreted it, though. It has provided me with many hours of shootin' pleasure, and it is extremely satisfying to handle a quality firearm, doing what it's meant to do.....shoot!!! That's why they make quality firearms.....to enjoy using. Not to be hidden away in some safe. :roll:

That's why they make quality cars, firearms, tools, cooking utensils, and vertually everything!!! To enjoy handling perfection......if you can afford it!!!! That's why, usually only rich people get to use the BEST quality.

But, in today's world........almost everybody can afford them. (Some, like me, have to scrimp and save alittle. :roll: ) Bob

·
Registered
668 Posts
Actually, IMHO, that's "Too nice to lock up in a dark cold place away from what it was intended to do".....

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
If, as you say, it has been shot already, it would be a crying shame not to shoot it. Go forth, pilgrim, and shoot the sh*t out of it! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
898 Posts
I shoot my 17 every chance I get...the enjoyment is worth much more than a few hundred bucks return on my investment...and considering mine was a gift from some special forum members, I'm way ahead of the game...besides, as long as you aren't wearing out the finish in a holster, who can tell the difference between 100 rounds or 10,000 with a K frame .22? ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
I don't have any safe queens, nuff said!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
There are very few guns IMO that should not be fired. Shoot it all you want. learn how to be meticulous in your cleaning and care, and the gun will always look like it does now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have to say you are right, it is almost too nice to shoot. It looks great. But those are terrific guns to shoot and it already was. Your friend would love to learn how to shoot with a beauty like that.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I know all about that "too nice to shoot" business.

Some years ago I saw a really gorgeous 17-3 sitting in a dealer's case, and heard it whisper, "Me...buy mee..." so of course, I did.

I figured it was too purty to shoot til I took it to the range the first time. It was more fun than a litter of Labradors!

Now, no matter which of my Smiths I take to the range, the 17-3 always goes!

Bill

·
Registered
94 Posts
One of the really nice things about a K-22/Model-17 is you can shoot the heck out of them and NOT shoot them loose or wear them out.

Unless, the 17-2 was truely NIB, I would advise your friend to enjoy one of the best shooting experiences he could ever have............shoot and enjoy. Just take normal care of it and the M-17 will hold it's value and will be going strong for several generations to enjoy.

Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts