Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stop in to smaller tire retail shops every so often to see if I can score some wheelweights. Tried a new place and the fella said we've got some and your welcome to look. One 55 gallon drum rounded and another half full...

Asked him how much for the lot...and he said he was thinking of getting someone to haul it off... :shock:

I told him that I wanted it for casting bullets and was willing to pay for some. He said you can have it all for Sixty Bucks....

I'm still smilin' about this one.... ;)

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I'm sure you moved it only in a DOT marked and approved truck with all the HAZMAT paperwork filed.....

Whatever you do, be sure to notify Maine DEP when you begin to process all that lead....

:roll:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, you know I did... ;)

But I'll never have to worry about gettin' wheelweights again ~ should end up with at least a half ton of ingots...

giz

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Gee....and I felt like I was being a wheelweight w h o r e with my lousy 500 pounds!

Even if there's a bunch of zinc in there, you can sell it to the metal recycler.

xtm

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Lessee....

1,500 lbs
x 85% Yield
-------------
1,275 lbs
x 7,000 Grns. / Lbs.
-------------
8,925,000 Grns of Metal

= 37,187 .44 Bullets @ $0.0016 ea. or,
= 56,487 .357 Bullets @ $0.0011 ea.

Pretty good score! Now you can afford to give some of them away! :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
8,925,000 Grns of Metal

It just sounds so much better when Drew says it.... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Having received such a windfall, it's only fair that he give the Pb away after he has cast it into bullets. :D That is the New World Order is it not? :| The whiniest ones and the ones who voted for someone other than McCain get first dibs. :)

xtm

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
I thought I felt the Earth shift :mrgreen:

·
Registered
256 Posts
:shock: I guess I should get my favorite 44 mold in the mail so you can have a couple hundred pounds cast up for me at the RNS... :D

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
toroflow said:
So how long does it take to cast 37,187 .44s or 56,487 .357s? ;)
Ken,

This sounds really out there, but as a young Engineering Student I once conducted an MTM study (Method-Time-Motion) of casting bullets..... with a full pot (28 lbs), prepped molds, Best Net was with two molds casting 6 cavities each of like bullets. I could average 4 cycles (8 throws) for 48, 358429 bullets per minute.

Using that as a standard, it would take 19.613 Man Hours of Applied Labor.

That's not so bad is it?

:D

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
That is enough lead to kill all of the Condors in the world!! perkgfn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts