Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
18,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year I bought a Swampfox Tomahawk 1-4 X 30 LPVO for on my S&W Sport. The plan was that if it was any good I would swap it over to my 15-22 and buy a higher power Swampfox for the AR eventually. Well, I got a 1-8 X 30 on sale so I went ahead and moved the 1-4. Tim & I took it out this afternoon to sight in
Trigger Bicycle part Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

We measured out 25 yards and set up. The first shots were 2.5 inch’s left and 3 inches low. Had it hitting center in no time. Here are a couple pictures of Tim shooting it
Plant Hat Natural environment Videographer Tree

Hat Plant community Ecoregion People in nature Luggage and bags

Plant Plant community Sky Hat Tree

Will have to mess with the hold overs to see where to hold for longer ranges
Since I thought this might end up on my 22,I ordered it with a generic moa range finding, holdover grid
Font Rim Circle Auto part Automotive wheel system

The new one is set up with holdovers at 300, 400 500 & 600 yards for 223/5.56
Gun barrel Air gun Wood Machine gun Soil

· Registered
18,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks nice. Will it clear Mbuis rear sights? What mount is that?
Yes, a Magpul pop up rear sight will fit under the scope, but of course you can't pop it up with the scope there. The mount is a cheap Amazon mount from an outfit named Hiram for about $32. I liked it enough I bought another for a different rifle

· Registered
9 Posts
Last year I bought a Swampfox Tomahawk 1-4 X 30 LPVO for on my S&W Sport. The plan was that if it was any good I would swap it over to my 15-22 and buy a higher power Swampfox for the AR eventually. Well, I got a 1-8 X 30 on sale so I went ahead and moved the 1-4. Tim & I took it out this afternoon to sight in

We measured out 25 yards and set up. The first shots were 2.5 inch’s left and 3 inches low. Had it hitting center in no time. Here are a couple pictures of Tim shooting it

Will have to mess with the hold overs to see where to hold for longer ranges
Looks like a nice setup! I use a 1-4x24 LPVO on my 15-22 but I zero at 10 yds for 5 to 35 yard steel matches. I like it! Also, shot the old Army Rifleman Qualification Target (posted at 25 meters with targets scaled for the longer ranges) and could not complain about the accuracy (of course, no ballistic drop with scaled targets at 25 meters.)

Check out Shooterscalc, Hornady, Strelok for (imho) really nice ballistic calculators.

Shooters Calc 25yd 0 CCI Mini-mags

Swampfox claims 100 MOA on their 24mm scopes. If they have the scope 0 in the middle of that, you don't have enough MOA to dial (or hold) past 300 yds, if that. Unless you get +MOA rails or adjustable rings. Ballistic curves on .22LR remarkably different from .223/5.56 rounds at 200, 300, etc.

Good shooting!

· Registered
42 Posts
I am sold on this rifle. I took it out to sight in at 25 and 50 yards. Irons need help. I prefer smaller front sight post. Red dot dialed in
Still not my preference as my astigmatism causes flair.
I really wanted to keep thie rifle at 5lbs and for now it is.

But i am really partial to my primary arms 22lr acss reticle LPVO. I far more accurate with it but it brings weight to 5.7lbs.

I am going out to sight in LPVO and judge it against the red dot. I am pretty i sure i will end up with it mounted and deal with the extra weight. Its benefits are a powerful draw. My eyes need the help. Lol....

· Registered
42 Posts
Got it sighted in. You really have to support weapon well and pres back into shoulder firmly to get super accurate results. I ended up using sand bags at shoulder and tri pod up front. If you let the gun shoot without firm support groups are wide. I didnt pre loaded or put downward pressure on handgaurd just firm rearward into shoulder. I had replaced grip with hogue grip
I noticed that when shooting for groups i had take my thumb off or i would pull shots. I may put the stock grips back on. I will give it some more range time.

The lpvo really is like cheating so much fun. I am starting to think that the added bit of weight may help as the gun as it is so light.
Getting cheap chevron pointed front sight to increase back iron sights accuracy.

I find the point if the chevron really gives eye better point to focus on.

My 1022 with tech super narrow sight post really drove that concept home for me.

Gun functioned flawlessly with thunderbolts but had several light strikes with federal automatch. No other issues.

This is a fun gun. I cant say enough about the mags. Super nice light and reliable especially with the McFadden quick lightnin loader.

Perma grin!

· Registered
42 Posts
Ok got some cheap front sights off ebay. They had a super thin sight blade. Took some 1500 grit and paper and file to it. I took off rounded top and sandes to a point. Its a bit tall and is bottomed out. At some point i will shorten it and sight in again.
Anyway at 50 yards its about 2 inches high. No big deal for now.

I also out the red dot back on and dialed it in. I turned intensity down so flair was minimal and accuracy increased.

I am torn between lpvo and red dot. Lol...
Its so nice and light with red dot amd irons. Lpvo a bit heavier but first hit accuracy highly increased .

I am going need to do side by side range sessions to make final choice.

I tend to like the rifle set up on lighter side. Ugh!!! Choices.

I like the flat trigger i put on my 1022.
So maybe the Bullmoose flat trigger will be next. Its just the trigger bar. 30.00.
Plus mp15-22 black dog 50 drum mag conversion on my black dog 1022 drum.

· Registered
18,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok got some cheap front sights off ebay. They had a super thin sight blade. Took some 1500 grit and paper and file to it. I took off rounded top and sandes to a point. Its a bit tall and is bottomed out. At some point i will shorten it and sight in again.
Anyway at 50 yards its about 2 inches high. No big deal for now.

I also out the red dot back on and dialed it in. I turned intensity down so flair was minimal and accuracy increased.

I am torn between lpvo and red dot. Lol...
Its so nice and light with red dot amd irons. Lpvo a bit heavier but first hit accuracy highly increased .

I am going need to do side by side range sessions to make final choice.

I tend to like the rifle set up on lighter side. Ugh!!! Choices.

I like the flat trigger i put on my 1022.
So maybe the Bullmoose flat trigger will be next. Its just the trigger bar. 30.00.
Plus mp15-22 black dog 50 drum mag conversion on my black dog 1022 drum.
Is your LPVO bright enough to see in full sun light? Mine is so I use it as a red dot when on 1 power

· Registered
42 Posts
Well after really dialling in iron sights with very fine replacement front post and red dot. I took 3 range sessions to get a 2 inch grouping at 50 yards. If course this is rested on a tripod and rear bag.

I decided to go with the red dot. I reduced intensity to produce a fine dot.
My eye seems to work well with it.

The lpvo is superior in long range and being able to see objects better.

The red dot wins out in the weight department . Plus i can still hit a spray paint can at 100 yards with some ease.
Both irons and red dot shoot like a laser at 70 yards and in.

Very happy. My 1022 is already up for sale. This little rifle really keeps pleasantly surpising me each range session.

Its just barely sub 5lb rifle accurate and reliable. Whats not to like.

Side note . I took my uncle out to give it a spin. Aftet four mags he said it was so easy to hit everything he aimed at that he was getting bored. Lol....thats not a bad thing.
Its the perfect semi auto companion to my h001 henry 22lr levergun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts