Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I’m a pretty new 15-22 owner, with about 500 rounds so far. I’m hopeful to hear from some long term owners on the reliability and durability of the gun. I’ve seen various forums in which ppl discounted the 15-22 for the polymer. But if the polymer is durable, then I’d consider the light weight and resistance to conduct heat/cold as benefits.

·
Registered
15,671 Posts
The gun has been out for quite a few years. Not sure exactly how many but since 2010 or so. If they had a problem with the polymer not holding up I am sure the internet would be loaded with pictures and stories of the gun that cracked or blew up. There are not tons of pictures and stories of failed polymer in the 15-22, so I would say it is a non issue. Mine was purchased in 2012 and has seen probably 4000-5000 rounds and still looks like new

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
4,033 Posts
I fired around 300 rounds today at the range (105'). It was fun. The rifle is dead accurate. I checked my records and bought mine in June, 2011. I'd guess 2000-2500 rounds?

I noticed the spring in the 24-round magazine is getting weak. I also have a few 10-round magazines that I got 'on sale'. I ordered two new 24-round magazines from Midway. I couldn't find just the spring.

·
Registered
15,671 Posts
I got mine in December of 2012. I have probably shot around 5,000 rounds through it and still going strong. They are a fun plinker. When I got mine the gun shop was including an extra magazine. I eventually got a couple more, a pair of 10 round, and 2 of the Promag, 32 round magazines, which are no longer produced(Patent infringement). Since then I bought 4or 5 more S&W 25 round mags which are still in the package until needed

·
Premium Member
4,033 Posts
I agree. I just ordered a new pair of factory 24 rd magazines.

I have two "buckets" of .22LR ammo (each with 1400 rounds of Remington bullets) from a few years ago. I haven't opened the second bucket yet.

The extra magazines are are good so you can load them the night before. It takes time and some fun away when at the range loading magazines.

·
Registered
15,671 Posts
I agree. I just ordered a new pair of factory 24 rd magazines.

I have two "buckets" of .22LR ammo (each with 1400 rounds of Remington bullets) from a few years ago. I haven't opened the second bucket yet.

The extra magazines are are good so you can load them the night before. It takes time and some fun away when at the range loading magazines.
That's what I do. I load the 4 factory 25 round mags, 2, 10 round and 2, 32 round mags the night before to give me 184 preloaded shots

·
Super Moderator
19,967 Posts
I'm not a fan of 22LR AR pattern rifles. (For the record I own and H&K model 516 that I got for practically nothing)
But I'll give everybody that owns one a few of my observations of the M&P 15-22 compared to all the others out there.
This would cover the Mossberg, Hammerli, H&K, and a couple others I can't think of at the moment.

One of the best things S&W did was to build the fire control systems nearly the same as the full size AR pattern rifles. The charging handle bolt and carrier dis-assemble like the big boys, and is super easy to clean and maintain.
With the others, they require nearly tearing down the entire rifle receiver and fire control from the frame, and cleaning them appears to be a royal pain. I've had a couple of my customers that bought the other brands come in and replace them with the S&W's because the operate the same as the full sized rifles and all of the controls are exactly where they should be. When teaching a youngster how to use an AR, the S&W M&P15-22 is the rifle I recommend, far above all the others.

Reactions: SilverAnn

·
Premium Member
4,033 Posts
I sure agree:

I never shopped another gun. I like the S&W 15-22 as a fun semi- rifle, and I love my old S&W revolvers.

I am also sold on the Winchester lever-action rifle.

·
Registered
15,671 Posts
T
I'm not a fan of 22LR AR pattern rifles. (For the record I own and H&K model 516 that I got for practically nothing)
But I'll give everybody that owns one a few of my observations of the M&P 15-22 compared to all the others out there.
This would cover the Mossberg, Hammerli, H&K, and a couple others I can't think of at the moment.

One of the best things S&W did was to build the fire control systems nearly the same as the full size AR pattern rifles. The charging handle bolt and carrier dis-assemble like the big boys, and is super easy to clean and maintain.
With the others, they require nearly tearing down the entire rifle receiver and fire control from the frame, and cleaning them appears to be a royal pain. I've had a couple of my customers that bought the other brands come in and replace them with the S&W's because the operate the same as the full sized rifles and all of the controls are exactly where they should be. When teaching a youngster how to use an AR, the S&W M&P15-22 is the rifle I recommend, far above all the others.
Pretty much everyone else took their standard semi auto 22 and mounted it in a plastic housing that looks like an AR, but doesnt function like one. The Mossberg AR22 is their model 702 Plinkster in an AR looking housing. They also make a 22 rifle called a Blaze. They take the Blaze and mount it in an AK looking housing and call it a Blaze47

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Assault rifle

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had my 15-22 since 2012 and have put over 5K rounds through it without any issues. There are not really any polymer components that would wear out.

I've taken dozens of vermin snooping around the chicken coop at night as well as a couple of coyotes. I've been very pleased with mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts