Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for info and tips about shooting steel challenge with the 15-22. I have a 15-22 and wondering about the best way to get setup - esp thoughts on iron sights vs optics. I have a Taticon Falcon V2 1-4x24 LPVO but not much experience shooting steel style. So far just some static targets and drills. I have the Browning reflex red dot on my Buckmark and several hours shooting that. Not sure how much I like red dot optics for fast target acquisition. I might try that on the 15-22 to see how a dot works on a rifle. Any thoughts on gear and setup much appreciated.

Thanks,

James

· Registered
27 Posts
I've only shot 3 matches so take it for what it's worth. I shoot my 10/22 in an Archangel AR copy chassis with a Holosun 510 green dot sight. Couple of the guys are shooting the 15-22. You don't need magnification at speed steel distance, you need quick target acquisition. I have my sight set with the circle and dot in the middle. Large MOA dots and wide field of view are a plus. Lot of shooters are using the C-More sights as well. Find ammo and mags that are reliable, click with no bang sucks. Couple or three mags to take to the stage with you. I know. 5 runs of 5 shots. Trus me, you will miss a few. I suck at iron sights so I stick with the optic classes. I shoot my Victory with the same style Holosun 510 sight on it. Main thing is to have fun. I shot my 22TCM (frowned on at some ranges) with iron sights at the last match and finished way down on speed but tops in noise and fireballs.

· Registered
18,087 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since my original post, I have shot 2 Rimfire Challenge matches - not the same but similar to the Steel Challenge. I ran my factory 15-22 with a Tacticon 1-4x24 LPVO scope. I was comfortable with it. Ran my Buckmark Hunter with Browning Reflex Optical (red dot) for pistol. Practiced with both for a week to ten days prior and did not see much difference in target acquisition red dot vs the scope (my "black dot"). Granted, I finished 30 / 32 so I got a lot of work to do ;) But I am happy with the 15-22 and plan to run with it some more - making some small mods: grip, compensator before anything drastic. Local RFC season is over but local club is planning to offer Steel Challenge next spring (I think.) Hope to do both.

On good strings, I was seeing mid 4's (4.47, 4.49, 4.62...) vs other shooters mid 2's. Had other issues including being a complete noob that dragged my combined overall score way down. Now I am hooked! Love to hear from others shooting the 15-22 in RFC or Steel or any. Thanks (y)👻

· Registered
12,065 Posts
Fun Times!

· Registered
27 Posts
It is addictive. Shoot whatever gear you are comfortable with that works for you. The "experts" said I had the wrong ammo and wrong mags for my 10/22 and my Victory would be a jam-o-matic. 4 matches in and I have a win and a runner-up in Rimfire Rifle Open. Still have some work do in the Rimfire Pistol Open but it's me and not the Victory, and I'm gaining on them. Matches are over for the year, come on spring!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts