Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've posted several of my difficulties with the 15-22 I purchased in Nov 2018 - here's another one - the Bolt Carrier won't remain open upon last round fired from the mag.

I thought it was perhaps due to the ejector mis-alignment.
Then I thought it was due to the hammer pin-walk issue, which ended up being due to a broken/lost pin retaining wire.
Then I thought it was due to a bad magazine.
Then I thought it was due to dirt, but it behaved the same way from my first magazine load to my 25th magazine load, and I've broken the rifle down twice and cleaned & lubricated the bolt carrier group (including separating and cleaning the rail assy) during that time.

Now I've fixed the ejector issue and replaced the hammer & trigger assy, and I've got qty5 different 25rd mags. I still only experience open Bolt ~50% of the time.

My next theory is AMMO - I've gone thru qty525 Remington 'Thunderbolts' since fixing the other issues. Now I'm going to try some 'Golden Bullets', which I don't have high hopes for, but perhaps it'll be different. They are both very cheap ammo (that's the whole point of getting this .22 - a much cheaper shooting experience compared to my AR15!) - I don't want to be forced into premium CCI just to save myself from re-racking my charging handle after every load.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I suggest using ALL the remington ammo in something else and switch to Federal 22 ammo. Thunderbolts is the absolute worst 22 ammo out there.......Golden bullets aren't much better. You can shoot Federal for the same price.

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
Been shooting golden bullets, and cci mini mags out of my 15/22. No issues. Couple typical FTF, but I haven't seen a .22 that doesn't do that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If it's any consolation, I have the same issue with mine. Have tried a half dozen different kinds of ammo and different magazines, both 25 rd and 10 rd (total of ten).
My wifes, (S/N only 18 numbers different than mine) never exhibited this.
We both switched to CCI AR Tactical ammo and all misfeed/ftf issues disappeared but my bolt fails to lock open on the last round no matter what.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a last round bolt hold problem a year ago that was similar to what you are experiencing. Then I decided to replace some parts on my lower - new bolt catch and mag release. Also ordered a new bolt catch pin and spring. Installed and now the bolt hold open on last round works every time. Does you current bolt catch move freely? Before I replaced everything my bolt catch was stiff - maybe dirt? Anywho, I use the gamut of ammo on my 15-22 (Aguila, Winchester, CCI, Remington, etc) it aint the ammo, it's the parts in the lower.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased M&P 15-22 a couple of days ago and I am very happy with it. Before I decided to get one for my 12 year old boy I tried to use CMMG conversion kit. The thing is not reliable on my rig at all. So, I have one for sale. After I got M&P 15-22 I tested reliability first, no hicks ups whatsoever....flowless with all kinds of ammo. Then all of the sudden the bolt carrier wouldn't stay open after last round fired. I read a few posts about it, went to the shop and took a closer look at catch mechanism. It worked but it was bone dry. I lubed this thing the day before, what the hell ? Well, I cleaned it and used some nice grease to lubricate that thing, loaded some different ammo in all 4 mags I have and tested it. All fixed, that's all it needed. Great gun, that's all my son wants to shoot now. Hope this might help someone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've posted several of my difficulties with the 15-22 I purchased in Nov 2018 - here's another one - the Bolt Carrier won't remain open upon last round fired from the mag.

I thought it was perhaps due to the ejector mis-alignment.
Then I thought it was due to the hammer pin-walk issue, which ended up being due to a broken/lost pin retaining wire.
Then I thought it was due to a bad magazine.
Then I thought it was due to dirt, but it behaved the same way from my first magazine load to my 25th magazine load, and I've broken the rifle down twice and cleaned & lubricated the bolt carrier group (including separating and cleaning the rail assy) during that time.

Now I've fixed the ejector issue and replaced the hammer & trigger assy, and I've got qty5 different 25rd mags. I still only experience open Bolt ~50% of the time.

My next theory is AMMO - I've gone thru qty525 Remington 'Thunderbolts' since fixing the other issues. Now I'm going to try some 'Golden Bullets', which I don't have high hopes for, but perhaps it'll be different. They are both very cheap ammo (that's the whole point of getting this .22 - a much cheaper shooting experience compared to my AR15!) - I don't want to be forced into premium CCI just to save myself from re-racking my charging handle after every load.
I bought my 15-22 a couple months ago. I have shot about 4000 rounds through it and the bolt hold open has never worked. I'm going to use some of the other commenters advise to try and troubleshoot this issue. So thanks for sharing your experience.
Probably the first 1500 rounds I had failure to eject and failure to feed issues a lot. Maybe 4 per 25 round mag. I figured it was the cheap ammo. Was shooting federal 1100 round boxes I got for $40 ea. But that's what I had. It hardly fails at all anymore and I'm still shooting cheap ammo, a lot. Up until it stopped doing it so much I was hating myself for not going with the 10/22. But I'm good now. Except the bho issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts