Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The ATL is my old stomping grounds and still have family up there. That's a pretty gun from what we can see of it. Great case coloring! How about some pix of the whole shebang on both sides? It was made in 1963. Here's my M15-2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the information. Well depending when you were in ATL, it has probably changed a lot. Still a great place for the most part.

I was testing out a new camera to see how much detail I could pick up and forgot to take a wide pic of the entire piece. Here is one from my phone that I just snapped. I am not sure if it has even been fired. It has a drag line but I think it has just been opened and closed a lot. Doesn't matter either way.

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
I can say from the look of the ejector rod that it has been fired "a lot." I've not seen a modern S&W with that much bluing loss on the rod and the rest of the gun look almost new. I suspect this was used in competition, perhaps bullseye.

Oh, your comment about other numbers refers to what is known as "assembly numbers and inspection stamps." Assembly numbers were used during manufacture to keep fitted parts together such as yoke to frame and sideplate to frame. Those parts are separated during bluing or plating. Not used for about 40 years since manufacturing tolerances have become so precise.

Well, I've been back to ATL fairly frequently since I retired in 2007. Not much has changed except for the "express lanes" on I575. I drove that route for 25 years and don't miss it a-tall. 😲

BTW, there's a group of ATL S&W collectors that got together 2-3 times a year before the virus. Once we get past this mess, you're welcome to join up with us, show off your babies and brag. 😉

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ejector rod is supposed to be blued? Wow. Not a trace of it unless I am not understanding what you mean. Good to know it has been used like it is suppose to be. And thank you for clarifying about the other numbers. I do have one question if you don't mind answering. In the grooves of the wood, there seems to be a little green in a couple areas. Almost like the green you would find on metal. But on the wood. Is there any product that takes it away without damaging the wood?

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
Yes, the ejector rod is blued...or nickeled on plated guns. Occasionally, we see "pintos" where S&W put a blue barrel and ejector rod with nickel cylinder, frame and thumb latch or vice versa. Pretty.

It's probably verdigris. The medallions are usually plated brass and brass corrodes into that green stuff and gets into everywhere. Try taking them off and scrub them with a toothbrush and Murphy's oil soap or some other wood cleaner. If that doesn't clean it off, you can remove the finish with acetone, but you'll either have to replace the urethane or use something like Danish oil, tung oil or some other wood finish.

·
Premium Member
12,308 Posts
Beautiful Model 15-2. Someone took really good care of it. My Model 15-2 was shipped in Oct 1963; 39 years ago this month (oops, 57 years old this month). It does not have the original rear sight on it. I picked it up online back in 2018. You will have fun with yours if you take it shooting.

I took the rubber grips off and put on period correct wood stocks.

·
Premium Member
12,308 Posts
Better recalculate how old that gun is. :)

Guy
I just saw that. I was told many years ago by my math professor to never do math in public. Have no idea what I was thinking.

·
Registered
30,190 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Nice inheritance and something to pass on. Enjoy and thanks for sharing the pics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts