Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
It's obviously been set up for competition with the heavy rib. If it was done by a well known gunsmith and hasn't been shot to death (good lock up, correct timing, no push off) then I would think possibly $700 - $750. If any of those criteria aren't met closer to $500.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Your gun was manufactured in 1970. It is a pinned barrel which commands a premium in today’s world. However, the custom rib and obvious scratches have ruined any collector value. You could try to put it back in original condition with sights and a blue job. I wouldn’t do that. I would shoot it as is and enjoy. I would put the value as 600-700. The grips are awesome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello everybody. I am a new user. Great forum! I`d like to know what do you think about 14-3 Model. I found this offer

Rewolwer S&W .38Spec lufa 6' - GRUBYKALIBER.PL

Could anybody write what do you think about this exacktly piece? I know that it is hard to judge the revolvers state only with the pictures but what is you first thought ? Is that woth 600 dollars?
rewolwer-sw-38spec-lufa-6-[2].jpg rewolwer-sw-38spec-lufa-6-[10].jpg rewolwer-sw-38spec-lufa-6-[13].jpg rewolwer-sw-38spec-lufa-6-[1].jpg rewolwer-sw-38spec-lufa-6-[5].jpg

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
OP because of the rib and the wear I think that lowers the value somewhat maybe $500 on a good day. Around here it would be a hard sell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OP because of the rib and the wear I think that lowers the value somewhat maybe $500 on a good day. Around here it would be a hard sell.
I am going to buy it, not to sell. I am form Poland, and prices here are much more higher than in the US (because our market is verry small) Is that worth to buy it?

·
Premium Member
12,664 Posts
It's really impossible for a forum like this to give out an accurate valuation, especially without full serial number and having it in hand.

Why not take it into a nearby shop for someone to evaluate. Go to an experienced shop, explain to them that you don't want to sell it, but would like to know what they would sell it for so that you can insure it properly.

As new members to the forum, you should also respect an issue we deal with here. Many people pop up to get gun evaluations on their initial postings. That basically says, "trust me. I'm a stranger and all I want is some information about this gun". We have no way of knowing if you're a righteous person with a family heirloom, or someone assisting a gang to value and prepare a recently stolen gun for sale.

That makes me very uncomfortable. You may not care, but many of our membership (and especially those with law enforcement backgrounds) do.

Those that are happy to give out values based on a photo and description are welcome to, but the truth is that it's really impossible for a forum like this to give out an accurate valuation, especially without the full serial number and having it in hand. Your results may vary.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's really impossible for a forum like this to give out an accurate valuation, especially without full serial number and having it in hand.

Why not take it into a nearby shop for someone to evaluate. Go to an experienced shop, explain to them that you don't want to sell it, but would like to know what they would sell it for so that you can insure it properly.

As new members to the forum, you should also respect an issue we deal with here. Many people pop up to get gun evaluations on their initial postings. That basically says, "trust me. I'm a stranger and all I want is some information about this gun". We have no way of knowing if you're a righteous person with a family heirloom, or someone assisting a gang to value and prepare a recently stolen gun for sale.

That makes me very uncomfortable. You may not care, but many of our membership (and especially those with law enforcement backgrounds) do.

Those that are happy to give out values based on a photo and description are welcome to, but the truth is that it's really impossible for a forum like this to give out an accurate valuation, especially without the full serial number and having it in hand. Your results may vary.
Thank you for your answer. I must explain that I am not a gangster, and I am going to buy, not to sell this revolver. I have only this pictures from the sellers web page.
I will buy it and if it is well received will share the better photos with serial number etc. I apologise if I made something wrong against the good habbits on this forum which I am a big fan. I am a gun collector from Poland. All the best.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Two different posters here.:eek:
First the OP. I lean towards the $500 assessment. The add on rib does not increase the value. I've seen a few 14s fitted out similarly at gun shows with $700+ and they are repeat offenders, never selling and not drawing attention. Its a shooter not a collectable.
The second one, posted by Zaspowski, looks to be a nice one, except for whatever is going on with the butt. If it wasn't for that it would easily bring $600 or more. But I don't know how many zlotys it is worth in Poland. What is the exchange now? Four Zlotys to the dollar?

John

·
Premium Member
12,664 Posts
Regarding the revolver for sale in Poland: Geographic location unfortunately causes price variation well beyond the actual value or rarity of a firearm, mainly because of the market demand versus supply in various places differs greatly.

Similar things apply to markings like those that I can't read on the butt area of the handgun's frame. That could be an import mark added around the serial number. The image renders so small that I can't make out any of the detail.

I also can't judge it mechanically for wear. Does it have cylinder end shake? Does the cylinder accurately index every time on every chamber? What's the barrel condition? Has the frame had much flame erosion near the cylinder to barrel gap? There are many more things that I'd evaluate before considering a price.

So, there is no way I can tell you that a gun that might sell for $600 in the USA would sell for the equivalent of $600 in Poland. You need to reference the local market. Is there an online "Gunbroker" auction site that might have some completed sales in Poland?

If it were perfect mechanically, had an undamaged finish and the markings on the butt were not objectionable I'd probably buy it for $600 here - but there is no way I can estimate that by just seeing photos, not knowing the serial, model modification level or age.

You've done nothing wrong or objectionable. Just understand the problems involved with responding to your question. I hope you get some local information, and if you buy it please share it with us.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Two different posters here.

First the OP. I lean towards the $500 assessment. The add on rib does not increase the value. I've seen a few 14s fitted out similarly at gun shows with $700+ and they are repeat offenders, never selling and not drawing attention. Its a shooter not a collectable.
The second one, posted by Zaspowski, looks to be a nice one, except for whatever is going on with the butt. If it wasn't for that it would easily bring $600 or more. But I don't know how many zlotys it is worth in Poland. What is the exchange now? Four Zlotys to the dollar?

John
Thank you. To be frankly I don't trust polish experts in american revolvers:) that's why I am asking in the US forum. Yes the exchange is smth abouT 3,9 PLN for One dollar. This will be revolver more for fan than colecting. I love old things with history:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Regarding the revolver for sale in Poland: Geographic location unfortunately causes price variation well beyond the actual value or rarity of a firearm, mainly because of the market demand versus supply in various places differs greatly.

Similar things apply to markings like those that I can't read on the butt area of the handgun's frame. That could be an import mark added around the serial number. The image renders so small that I can't make out any of the detail.

I also can't judge it mechanically for wear. Does it have cylinder end shake? Does the cylinder accurately index every time on every chamber? What's the barrel condition? Has the frame had much flame erosion near the cylinder to barrel gap? There are many more things that I'd evaluate before considering a price.

So, there is no way I can tell you that a gun that might sell for $600 in the USA would sell for the equivalent of $600 in Poland. You need to reference the local market. Is there an online "Gunbroker" auction site that might have some completed sales in Poland?

If it were perfect mechanically, had an undamaged finish and the markings on the butt were not objectionable I'd probably buy it for $600 here - but there is no way I can estimate that by just seeing photos, not knowing the serial, model modification level or age.

You've done nothing wrong or objectionable. Just understand the problems involved with responding to your question. I hope you get some local information, and if you buy it please share it with us.
I agree. Geographic location changes a lot 🙂 look at this piece of metal. It is polish machine pistol RAK 63. It is worth max 300 dollars here in PL. In The USA you must pay even 1,5k USD 🙂.
It's a very original construction with very unique solutions. It's shooting with open slide. I love this gun. And one more paradox. Here in PL it must be modified for single shots only. In the US is must be modified for shooting with closed slider 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Two different posters here.

John
Sorry, I dont understand. Are you talking about this? (Butt)

Attachments

·
Registered
27,107 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the forum. Keep us informed about the revolver your interested in and take some more pics to share after you get it. Also, we like to hear about how the firearm functions and would appreciate your thoughts so please post a range report.:)

·
Premium Member
12,664 Posts
the 14-2 you pointed to looks like a nice one in good shape. The issue will be mechanical condition, both inside the action and the cylinder and yoke mounting / ejection mechanism.

You'll need to check them all for wear, adjustment, proper lubrication and trigger feel.

The other photo of the base of the grip looks quite unusual. If it's wood, then it's obscuring where the serial number normally is found. If it's the frame itself, someone has deeply cut it, perhaps to obscure the serial number. In any case, I'm unfamiliar with a reason for putting cuts like that into a grip / stock base.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the 14-2 you pointed to looks like a nice one in good shape. The issue will be mechanical condition, both inside the action and the cylinder and yoke mounting / ejection mechanism.

You'll need to check them all for wear, adjustment, proper lubrication and trigger feel.

The other photo of the base of the grip looks quite unusual. If it's wood, then it's obscuring where the serial number normally is found. If it's the frame itself, someone has deeply cut it, perhaps to obscure the serial number. In any case, I'm unfamiliar with a reason for putting cuts like that into a grip / stock base.
Update
After checking that 14-3, I have some doubts. The problem is the hammer. I noticed that it is not blocked enough when it is in a upper position, I can decock in using one finger strength. Is this serious problem? What doest it mean (is it out of order, or maybe somebody tried to modify the trigger? Can you give me any advice? Thank you in advance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts