Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reloading almost exclusivly for the 38/357 revolvers using 158 gr bullets. I did some electrical work in the closet that houses my reloading stuff and found some stuff I forgot about.

One of those things was about 200 or so semi jacketed nice bullets but .. 125 gr. I must have bought them ages ago from Zero bullets.

I have read a ton about 125 grain bullets possibly being a culprit in flame cutting. I dont usually load to max in 357 which is where I would use these bullets but ... Should I use them .. sell them off ???

I would be running them in a GP100 and my Hway patrolman but only ever so often as 99% of my shooting is with 38.
Thank you for any insight!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
FWIW, I only use the lighter bullets (under 148gr) in 38 special loads, which means lower charges and less (no) flame cutting issues. Even if I load them in 357 cases, I keep the charges in the 38 special to 38+P range.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
125 is the lower limit for Scandium framed/ Titanium cylindered guns. You're probably okay.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Save the hot 125s for serious self defense work.

Shooting a few now and then will not harm even the more vulnerable guns (K-Frames, for example).

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
I load them sometimes, but If I need a big bang, I'll get my 44....:)

thewelshm

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
I have loaded a lot of 125gr and 130gr bullets for 38/357. If you stay away from full loads of H110(22gr or so), then flame cutting isnt an issue. I mainly load reduced power loads with them. A 125-130gr bullet over 7.2 grains of Unique is a nice shooting and accurate 357 load

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
"A 125-130gr bullet over 7.2 grains of Unique is a nice shooting and accurate 357 load." Yep! Works real good for just about anything that might need shooting. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
16,619 Posts
Do a nice job on bowling pins with that load too.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so why Unique? It seems that the burn rate is pretty close to 231 ... I was thinking longshot .. any good reason not to use longshot. Works great with my 10mm rounds out of a 4 inch barrel revolver.

I have hp38 and longshot but would get some unique if its really the powder to use.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
so why Unique? It seems that the burn rate is pretty close to 231 ... I was thinking longshot .. any good reason not to use longshot. Works great with my 10mm rounds out of a 4 inch barrel revolver.

I have hp38 and longshot but would get some unique if its really the powder to use.
I'm interested in the answer to this one too.
I really like HP-38 / W231 for 38 special, 38 +P and even mild 357
It sure meters more consistently than Unique in my measures.

·
Registered
12,060 Posts

In my case, I use Unique because thats what I have. For 38 special loads I use 3.5gr of Titegroup with a 125 or 130 grain bullet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts