Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine recently picked up a dirt cheap 12 ga. Remington 11-48 with a 28" barrel sporting a full choke. I have a 12 ga. 26" 1100 with an improved cylinder. All we do is break backyard clays and my gun is perfect for this task. He was asking me about trimming off a little bit to open the choke up a skosh to make it more suitable for this use. I got to reading up and found some diagrams that showed various chokes that included shot patterns and percentages at certain distances.
Do we have any experts here that have some knowledge/experience with cutting down a barrel to open up the the choke a little? B4 someone makes the suggestion, I know there are barrels out there for sale, but the gun only cost him $175 and he doesn't wanna spend that kind of dinero for a gun that was so cheap. Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Good luck finding barrels for sale. I was looking for a barrel in cylinder bore for my Mossberg 500(modified choke) and couldn't find one. I would thing a full chock would be a killer for clays.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck finding barrels for sale. I was looking for a barrel in cylinder bore for my Mossberg 500(modified chock) and couldn't find one. I would thing a full chock would be a killer for clays.
Even if he could find a barrel, he doesn't wanna spend that much dinero on a $175 gun, and I wouldn't either. The problemo is that the pattern I guess is too tight for his skill level. My 26" improved cylinder worx much better for skeet.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
14,110 Posts
Better to have a gunsmith open it up to .015 (light modified); might run about $50

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
You can use “spreader” loads if you can find them. They use to be readily available pre panic but I haven’t looked in years. Spreader loads open up nicely out of a full choke and bring the pattern in closer by about 20 yds. Out of a clyinder bore gun it gives new meaning to the term spray snd pray.

if you really don’t want to spend zip, if you had a brake wheel cylinder hone handy and a measuring device...you could just “have at” that “lumped” area in the bore choke snd take off about .015” from the full reading. I’ve done it...but most will tell you to just pay a real gunsmith to open The choke. Most barrels are too valuable to...”hack”.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Buy a $20 adjustable reamer in the diameter range. Collect some 40" squares of cardboard, inscribe with an aimpoint surrounded by a 30" circle. Buy some decent #8 shot (cheap stuff is too unpredictable) and tickle it to the desired density at the desired range. I agree that Skeet II or light modified is a good fixed choke choice. Were I going to a gunsmith I would opt for threading the barrel for a common brand tube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts