Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through my ammo and reloading stuff a few days ago. I found some 110 grain plinkers in my stash. I was wondering if any of you had tried these in 308 rifle loads. I'd had these so long it was kinda like finding Free bullets.
Cliff

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Awful light for a 308 load. I would be surprised if the stabilize in flight. Lightest I go is 165 gn., and usually I load 168's.

Lucky I have plenty of bollets and everything else.

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I know my 30 carbine and Ruger Blackhawk loves 'em. See, now you've got an excuse to get a 30 carbine.;)

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
If you want some real speed load some 55 gr FMJ's(..22 cal) into 30 ca. sabost. You won't believe your cronograph. Your .308 WILL stabilize light bullets at certain speeds.
Trouble is, they won't stay together, too many rpm = exploding boolet.

·
Registered
450 Posts
When Remington offered the "Accelerator" loads for the 30/30 and 30/06, the 55 gn bullets they were using held together.
If you don't remember them, "Accelerators" were Remington factory ammo using a 55 gn JSP bullet in a 30 cal sabot. They were good enough for me to win a 200 yd "varmint" shooting competition on paper targets at my gun club using Remington Accelerators out of a factory Rem. M700 w/ a 10x Leupold scope. Shooting was done prone, off a bipod.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Try looking in a Lyman Reloading Manual if you haven't done so already. There are loads for 110 gr. bullets in .308 there.
I just purchased some 125 gr. bullets and want to try reduced loads out of a .300 Savage, this spring, with them.

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
I probably should have clarified my intended use of a 30 caliber round when I made my first comment. I don't shoot paper (except when sighting in a rifle and working up a load for maximum accuracy down range which is a 200 yard zero always).

I light pill may be fine for punching a hole in a paper target but that isn't what I do. I kill game animals and as such, any pill under 165 grains (in 30 caliber) at distance, don't provide the kinetic energy or mass to effectuate a clean kill at distance. Putting holes in paper, all well and good. Putting a hole in an animal and having reliable expansion and retaining the mass of the bullet is another thing entirely. I'm 100% about terminal expansion and retained bullet mass which is why I only load Berger bullets. They provide the reliable expansion, retained mass and terminal wound I'm looking for.

My range time (on my private range is all about downrange accuracy and once I have a stick sighted in, it gets cleaned with BTE and put in the gun rack, only to be used for hunting at which time I'll 'test' the stick before the hunt to one, make sure it's holding it's zero and send a fouling shot or two, through the bore. I keep 1 box of 50 loaded rounds for each stick and no more and when the round count drops below 25, I replenish them back to 50 with the exception of the 338, which gets replenished after 10 because the ammo box only holds 20.

Not a paper puncher, never have been. Paper for me is all about sighting in and load building and nothing else, consequently, a light pill for me isn't a viable option unless it's a 22 caliber but then I'd never hunt a large animal at any distance over 150 yards with a 22 caliber anyway. Not enough mass to accomplish what I require of a bullet.

I probably should have stated that in my firet comment and I didn't.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
100 gr. plinkers are fun! Fired a lot of such stuff in various 03-A3 rifles with excellent results. Same w/ other light bullets. Best were 130 gr. JHP's by Speer. Accuracy was always excellent and on target results, especially out in the woods/fields was positively nuclear scale! Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
You are wrong. I've done it. ....Remington made accelerators in many calibers that worked fine. Apparently you have no experience with this. They won't disintegrate as you say. And it's bullet not boolit.
I call them boolits, you call them what makes you happy and no I never have and won't because I have no need to. I do know that barrel twist imparts rotational speed to anything that travels down any rifled tube and every 'boolit' ever swaged has a rotational speed (rpm) limit and once exceeded it fragments. Has to do with mass and kinetic energy.

That also applies to MV and I never exceed 3000fps. exceeding 3000 fps in any tube accelerates land erosion and barrel life and I only run custom barrels and they ain't cheap.

I've been handloading for over 20 years and all of it has been for accuracy down range and consistency.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I call them boolits, you call them what makes you happy and no I never have and won't because I have no need to. I do know that barrel twist imparts rotational speed to anything that travels down any rifled tube and every 'boolit' ever swaged has a rotational speed (rpm) limit and once exceeded it fragments. Has to do with mass and kinetic energy.

That also applies to MV and I never exceed 3000fps. exceeding 3000 fps in any tube accelerates land erosion and barrel life and I only run custom barrels and they ain't cheap.

I've been handloading for over 20 years and all of it has been for accuracy down range and consistency.
I've been handloading for 49 years and i know stuff too. Saboted .22 bullets will not blow up driven fast. Remington loaded them in 30/06 at tremendous speeds and they didn't blow up. You go your way and I'll go mine.

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
I've been handloading for 49 years and i know stuff too. Saboted .22 bullets will not blow up driven fast. Remington loaded them in 30/06 at tremendous speeds and they didn't blow up. You go your way and I'll go mine.
I intend to......

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I have two er three 30 caliber rifles....
The 308 is my light rifle for whitetail deer & down.
A 300 Win Mag Westerner-Alaskan and a Winchester model 70 300 Wby., for longer range and larger critters

I personally like the 110s and 125s in the 308 Win. at around 3000 fps
The magnums with 190gr to 200 grain bullets around twenty eight to twenty nine hundred feet per second.

Also, I have enjoying 'rolling my own' for over a half century now....
Gonna load a few 110gr. 308 Winchesters tomorrow for coyote huntin', maybe. ;)

///

1 - 16 of 16 Posts