Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STILL waiting for delivery of a Ruger Super Redhawk in 10MM, 6.5 barrel. Ruger is apparently 3-4 weeks back ordered in deliveries, but I wanted to start assembling the necessaries for handloading. I have no practical experience with 10mm, just had an itch and scratched it. I KNOW I'm not the only one who's ever had THE itch. :p

Just ordered 1000 rds of Starline brass.

Looking at Montana Gold for the bullets. What seems to be the preferred/most popular weight? 165s or 180s? The first few hundred rounds will be familiarization and paper punching. I'm not a hunter so I don't expect to be chasing through the woods looking for game. However, we do hike around in some pretty far back country and it's known that there are occasional "illicit drugs" being grown in the way back country. 2 legged critters fit this category.

Powders? Got an adequate supply of the apparent favored powders like 2400.

Any pointers or suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

~Dave

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have been using 180gr coated lead and have been loading it over 8.3 grs of longshot out of my 10mm match. It is definitely more stout than anything I have purchased as commercial target rounds but not unpleasant to shoot.

One of two local reloading gurus I trust suggested the longshot and I have been using it in semis and the revolver ever since.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I use the 180 gr bullet and 231 powder for all of my 40 Cal. The 180 gr. Is a great bullet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I shoot an SR1911-10 and use 180 up to 200 grainers with Blue Dot, Longshot, HP38 and Universal. I prefer to shoot middle to heavy weight range projectiles. Starline is excellent brass for the 10mm as is SIG. Some substantial screamers can be had with the BD. A 610 is inbound and I will start with these same loads to see what she prefers. The 10mm is a fine caliber.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Seems that 180's in some different configurations tend to be more popular.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I use 180's in my Smith 610 and Sig 220. Mostly XTP's because they work well in other calibers and I had a few hundred. I have gotten the best accuracy using AA7 and Blue Dot or Power Pistol. Good luck with your pursuit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts