Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Do we taper crimp or roll crimp for revolver use only?

Reactions: sparkyv

Registered
I taper crimp all of my 38 Specials but with the heavier caliber you might want to roll crimp. Does the bullet have a cannelure?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I've taper crimped my 38's/357's as well. They were not "hot" loads and performed satisfactorily. The 180's I got from Montana Gold do not have a cannelure. I've done a casual search for 180's/10mm and haven't found any with cannelures. All of the commercial ammo I've found (Federal) are not rolled crimped (but then the 10mm is/was principally intended as a semi-auto round and a person would expect no roll crimping). Since I'm using the commercial rounds in a heavy duty revolver (the Ruger 5524 is built on a 454 frame and weighs in at a meager 52 oz's. Yes, I've started a wrist strengthening exercise routine馃弸锔忊嶁檧锔), I am hoping to get some advice or observations on rolling your own for a 10mm revolver. For now, I'll stick to the middle of the road loads and a taper crimp. The Federal Champion 180/FMJ are rated at 1200 fps and I felt very little recoil.

Registered
Wow, great question. I recently started shooting 10mm reloads in a revolver and didn't even give this a second thought. My Lee dies taper crimp 10mm, and I've had no issues with crimp jump at all. Some bullets have a cannelure and some don't. Either way, no issues, but now that you brought this to my attention NWDave, I'll have to do some extra testing. :rolleyes:

[edit] correction, only one 10mm bullet with a cannelure, but I've only shot it from my SR1911 so far.

Registered
Just a point-- a cannelure CAN be added. If needed. :)

My REDDING dies produce a taper crimp and my load is somewhat stout. Never have had a problem with 'jumping. :) Here is one of my 10MM, the other being a AMT semi- Auto. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts