Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I always heard the 3rd gen S&W autos are very tough and could take 10mm punishment, but I also see that parts are pretty much gone. If I did get one, what should one try to find for spares?
Other than springs (as noted above) which continue to be available... and possibly extractor, ejector and sideplate or maybe a replacement grip (for cosmetics)... I think you are going to be hard pressed to predict what you might need over time that makes sense to buy now as a ready replacement. I tend to buy this and that small replacement parts when I see them on sale or on eBay or when I am putting in a large order with the Mothership. So far, they have mostly been a waste of money, but I have a large collection of 3rd Gens so maybe they will be used someday by me or maybe as trading fodder for other parts that I don't own at some point in the future? :unsure:

Or maybe my good wife will just throw them away a couple weeks after I am dead, buried and pushing up daisies. :oops: That is actually the more likely scenario. :(

Major replacement parts, if it ever comes down to that, will always be a problem for a semi-auto pistol discontinued 25ish years ago. You may get lucky or you may have to swallow hard and part-out whatever is left intact. Funny thing is that sometimes folks actually make out fairly well doing so. :geek:

·
Premium Member
18,304 Posts
For spare parts, keep checking Ebay. periodically you will find parts that have been removed from junked pistols. Study the Numrich parts lists to find parts common between makes. If a part listed with 2 different makes have the same part number, they should be the same part.

Reactions: mrmike7189

·
Super Moderator
19,911 Posts
Did any of you hear the news today? S&W is going to make a new 10mm M&P M2.0 pistol.
Now, I can't wait to get one of their plastic M&P's into my collection.

Smith & Wesson Adds Optics-Ready 10mm M&P M2.0 Pistols to Their Lineup

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Did any of you hear the news today? S&W is going to make a new 10mm M&P M2.0 pistol.
Now, I can't wait to get one of their plastic M&P's into my collection.

Smith & Wesson Adds Optics-Ready 10mm M&P M2.0 Pistols to Their Lineup
Huge news in the world of S&W plastic aficionados! :giggle:

Let's see how long it takes to get its very own thread! :geek:

·
Registered
509 Posts
I always heard the 3rd gen S&W autos are very tough and could take 10mm punishment, but I also see that parts are pretty much gone. If I did get one, what should one try to find for spares?
I have a S&W 4046, and it may be the strongest-made gun that I have owned.
But I can’t find extra mags at a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
18,304 Posts
I don't think there are any more reasonably priced mags for S&W 3rd gen .40s. It took me a year to put together 4 for my 411.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just search for "S&W 4006 magazine"...I saw at least a dozen listings.;)
Yep, 11 round magazines are showing up at sensible prices. I managed to find 10 round magazines on a lot of previous searches, with some at high prices. My mind has turned into mush too, with old age. So it takes me twice as long to get things done.
Thanks.🥴

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hop on em if you want some. They may dry up in a few months.

The CHP 4006TSWs seem to be selling briskly, as all the other 3rd Gens--they've really picked up in sales prices, in past ten months.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My mind has turned into mush too, with old age. So it takes me twice as long to get things done. Thanks.🥴
Join the club! :) With me it is 3 or 4 times longer. I've got to replace the rear brake pads on my mini-SUV and I guarantee you it will take one full day. :unsure:

In my younger days, that was a two-hour job soup-to-nuts and only took that long because I am anal-retentive and had to do it in my rather steep unpaved driveway. :cool:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Hop on em if you want some. They may dry up in a few months.

The CHP 4006TSWs seem to be selling briskly, as all the other 3rd Gens--they've really picked up in sales prices, in past ten months.
What are they going for now? I know I over-paid for mine back in late-2018, but I wanted one in "as-new" condition. :unsure:

So, make me feel good. How much are they now? :giggle:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts