Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been given the opportunity to purchase what appears to be one f the NYPD 10-6 .357 revolvers it has currently no finish the bluing has been removed. I can not see the S/N on the crane in the pics and I am asking for the S/N from the butt of the revolver. I know there was a limited run of 10-6 .357 revolvers made pre model 13. Can anyone give me the S/N range? I believe it is a D range number from the 3rd catalog but I am not sure. I want to verify the S/N prior to purchasing this gun. I am planning on having it completely refinished if it is truly on of the NYPD .357 revolvers. What I don't want to buy is a 10-6 with a .357 barrel replacement or one that has been converted to .357 in someone's garage. I know the conversion can be done and the gun will work fine but I want this for the collection as a historical piece.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide

A1968ford

·
Registered
22 Posts
That Model 10 would have been made about 1964. Serial numbers started with D in 1968. The .357 Model 10 were made for the NYSP in 1972 so it does not appear the one pictured would be one of those.
Here's what Supica and Nahas S&W book says about the .357 variation:
• New York State Police: In 1972 several thousand were chambered in .357 Magnum for the N.Y.S.P. with 4” heavy barrel with pinned barrel. Predecessor to the Model 13 with a counterbored cylinder measuring 1.67” in length with a somewhat flattened top strap and a sandblast blue finish. This variation is fitted with a smooth .400” combat trigger and .375” checked hammer. Fitted with plainclothes grips. Notched front sight, frame marked 10-6, “.357 Magnum” on the barrel. No known police markings.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have come to the decision that this was a 10-6 with a .357 barrel replacement and have withdrawn my offer to buy I am in agreement with the house that this should be a D series revolver thankyou so much for your time and knowledge

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Your serial # is in the 1964 era, the Model 13 .357's were from 1972. It's possible it sat on the shelf S&W that long but unlikely. They were made for NYSP, not NYPD. A factory letter would likely confirm what it is but personally w/out a confirmation from the factory I'd doubt it's authenticity. At any rate refinishing it would destroy any collector value if it is NYSP gun.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have refinished it not for the value but for the history and rarity of it IE: COOL FACTOR

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
It looks like someone swapped barrels & either reamed the cylinder to .357 or swapped in a .357 cylinder... or possibly just swapped the barrel. Nothing I'd pay more than shooter price for.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it was well below shooters price 225 the investment of refinishing it at say 200-250 would give you a nice early shooter at under 500.00 my issue is if this was someone's garage modification and not a factory or a gunsmith conversion would it be safe to fire if anyone wants the link to the email address of the owner and would like to make an offer please PM me I will forward it as I am done and have withdrawn my offer

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The fact that it has the recessed cylinder pretty much means it had to have been fitted with a cylinder from a .357 since you can't cut recesses in a 38 special cylinder without also setting the extractor star deeper. So even if it is a conversion from 38 to .357 it is both a .357 barrel AND cylinder, thus safe to shoot .357 rounds in it.
If I were looking for a gun to do a rust blue job on and could get it cheap enough, I'd consider it as a project shooter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts