Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone watching any specific deer yet? Patterning any bucks? What are you doing now, if anything, in preparation for the fall hunt(s) you're planning on?
I am starting to take some hikes and look around a bit.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Unfortunatly, a dry spell and a bit of rain just before season opens blows all the scouting in the world right out of the water around here. Last year I had my spot for archery deer {over the counter tags in Az.} all lined out and a week before season opened, we got some rain and the deer changed their routine overnight. If a snow storm comes in up north, the elk will change areas almost over night.
But we go scouting a dozen times every year anyway ;)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm playing softball twice a week. Does that count for anything?

Seriously, it's a bit early yet for me with my sons still on summer break. I'll sight in the Guide Gun soon with some new loads. My brother-in-law drew a moose tag for my neck of the woods, so I expect to be scouting moose before deer this year.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Too blasted hot around here to do much of anything. I've gone out to the Peach Orchard and sat in the shade on the porch. Sipped tequila and done a little shooting. Haven't seen any deer, but I've noted where they've been. Yeah, really! We have deer in the desert. I'm just a hoot and a holler from the Portrillo Mts. I live on the shady side. Deer and mountain lion make their home there. Those jokers just love to eat my peaches and strip the lower branches of their leaves. They drink from my stock tank. That's okay by me. Live and let live...until huntin' season.

G

·
Funny, but I've been clearin' land and found a bunch of snowshoe bunny hole's... That's kinda unusual. Think it has to do with wiping out the Coyote's around here. I have been noticing that they build the hold outs on the top of pressure ridges. Second year in a row that I've seen that. Never noticed before.

Deer sign is thick. I'm seeing more this year then the last 3 years combined. Think that finally having a mild winter helped them out. Seen lots of spotted ones :) ...

I might go for a buck this year, but it will be with a Flintlock. The .243 will have to sit another one out.

Seen a few bear scats, now that the berries are out...

giz

·
Registered
507 Posts
Spent the last few weekends checking and refurbing stands. Forked out about $60 so far just for wasp spray! Our bow season starts a week from today,gun season 9/1. We've seen a LOT of deer,some really good bucks. Between my son and I,we will have access to over 16,000 acres of private land. I've never had that much land to hunt and I fear I'm too old to take full advantage of it. But,I'm gonna give it a shot!
f.t.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
fat tom said:
....... Between my son and I,we will have access to over 16,000 acres of private land. I've never had that much land to hunt and I fear I'm too old to take full advantage of it. But,I'm gonna give it a shot!
f.t.

I think you need to adopt me for the season........

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Just sitting back and waiting for dove season to open. Forty boxes of .28 gauge stored upand ready for the season. The only problem is that it has been more wet this summer and that may delay cutting some corn fields.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tonight at half dusk, about half an hour or so ago, I was driving home. In the front yard of an old farmhouse, actually some folks I know, under the apple tree, was an in-velvet buck of 10 points. He stood stalk still, 40 feet away, watching me watch him and I could count the tines easily. The rack wide and tall, wow! With him was another smaller 7 pointer...shheeeeessshhh. Guess I know where I'll be looking around some.
See? They are already starting to tease me, and its only August.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.