How many have gone to red dot sights for pistols?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: How many have gone to red dot sights for pistols?

Member #
    Liked
    883 times

How many have gone to red dot sights for pistols?

Our club has a friendly competition shoot every Wed. all year long (weather permitting). When the group started, over 15 years ago, hubby and I were always the best shooters. Then the others kept coming and kept getting better over time, which is as it should be.

Now there are a lot of new, younger people joining the group (about the age the originals were 15 years ago), and the old guys are going to red dot sights to try to keep up. Hubby is one of the oldest who is still an active shooter and lately he has been ranking in the middle instead of near the top. SO he decided that since the other old guys are almost all using red dot sights now, he should get one. At first he was going to put it on his Glock 22 40 cal., but changed his mind and decided to put in on the Glock 19 9mm (formerly MY Glock 19), since he is shooting it more than his other guns now. Here's the story:

He ordered a Vortex Venom 3MOA red dot sight on sale from one of the on line stores. Then he ordered a mounting plate from the assortment available on Amazon. The sight came promptly. The mounting plate came from China. OK, they all are made in China, but this one actually was sent from China so it was over 3 weeks until it was delivered.

He put the plate and the sight on his Glock 19 and off to the range he went. He came back a while later with a cut right above his one eyebrow. More like a slice, actually. Nine rounds and the whole thing, mounting plate and all, flew off! Then he took it apart and determined that the screws that came with the mounting plate were too short.

He phoned Vortex to ask what to do, and even though they do not make mounting plates, they immediately sent two little envelopes with different sizes of longer screws - and a free hat - which I am enjoying wearing!

Redo the mounting process: Yes, he used blue lock tight, both times. Back to the range. THIS TIME after only 3 rounds, the sight fell off, but at least it didn't hit him in the face this time. In the meantime, I was reading customer reviews for a couple hours (which hubby didn't let me take time to do when he wanted to order that mounting plate). Turns out that almost every one of the ones that are designed the same way, (with the separate piece that goes in the slot for the rear sight and have to be screwed down there plus in the front) refuse to stay on the gun - no matter what brand gun. Some fall off sooner, some later.

I did get a refund for that piece of junk from the Amazon seller.

He phoned Vortex again and asked WHERE he could get a mounting plate that would actually stay on the gun. They told him there is one brand that is made properly - one piece, formed properly. It is EGW. It costs $50, compared to the $16 to $26 for the other brands that fall off. $50 plus $8.50 shipping and 3 days later the new plate arrived in the mail.
    EGW Gun Parts

It comes with very specific instructions. Very specific. Follow them!

Hubby's words: 'THIS THING IS NEVER GOING TO COME OFF!!!!!" It is made properly, meaning that it takes a while to get it into the rear sight channel, but fits perfectly, and snugly. Off to the range he went this morning to zero in the red dot and shot 50 rounds, some on IDPA target for exact placement and some on a steel dueling tree just for FUN. No misses. Not one.

Hubby is happy. I am (possibly) even happier!

New sight: $190 on sale
    New correct mounting plate: $58.49
    Husband's smile: PRICELESS
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; 10-13-2019 at 10:47 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    122 times
    I’ve switched to ultra dot on my precision pistols, 45 and .22. Old eyes, weak hands, bad knees. Can’t shoot as well as I once did, but I can still keep ‘em on the paper at 50 yards!

Member #
    Liked
    26635 times
    The most solid mounting plates would be those that utilize the rear sight dove tail. I have thought about putting one on one of my guns to mess with at the range. I just put a red dot sight on my 15-22 this summer. It works real well when going from target to target quickly

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Red Dots have transformed my shooting too. I have a Vortex Venom on my 686 and a Leupold Delta Point Pro on my M&P9 2.0 with EGW or Leupold mounting plates and Venom on a 10/22 and a Holosun HC510 on an AR9 rifle using Picatinny rail mounts. The improvement is huge and I will never go back to open sights.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18455 times
    While not germane to this discussion, I use Evolution Gun Works (EGW) rails almost exclusively on my hunting rifles. Good stuff don't come cheap I also use Badger Precision but mostly EGW.

I have a railway holographic sight on my Volquartsen 22 match target pistol. I like it because you don't have to have your eye centered on the hologram to get an accurate shot plus I have a selection of holograms to choose from. The usual dot (in different colors), a target circle and cross hairs too.

Yes, Vortex is made offshore, but not all in China.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    I have a railway holographic sight on my Volquartsen 22 match target pistol. I like it because you don't have to have your eye centered on the hologram to get an accurate shot.....
    That's true of most Red Dots as they have little to no parallax at reasonable ranges. As long as the dot is on the target, that's where the bullet goes.

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Haven't mounted red dots on any of my pistols but I probably should. I have a some on a couple of my rifles and they really do help these tired ol' eyes. The sad thing is that I really don't shoot often enough these days to be very good, with or without a red dot.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    I went to red dots back in the late 80's or early 90's for my .38 Super race guns. I knew a guy named Frank (something or another who worked for Wilson Combat - ole timers ya know) who convinced Jerry Barnhart to start shooting them. Others followed suit and most all open USPSA shooters use 'em today. Once you learn to look through the sight it's much easier to align one red dot on the sight than a front sight and a rear sight and the target. Others were using them at the Bianchi Cup before Barnhart popularized them in IPSC.
    Last edited by 1MoreFord; 10-14-2019 at 01:48 AM.
    ShooterGranny and Curt360 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10393 times
    I started years ago with Tasco ProPoints and still use a couple of them. Then I went to the Ultradot sights. After that a couple of Aimpoints were added and now I'm using quite a few Burris Fastfires. All of them have done well and helped my shooting immensely. I have never slide mounted one though. All have been on rimfire semi autos or revolvers. Here's a couple of 625s with Burris dots.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    201 times
    Back when my eyes allowed for it...I made one hunting trip to Africa with handguns only..all iron sighted ( I dislike scopes on handguns). As time passed and my eyes aged...I left handgun hunting behind. Eventually...I decided to try one of the Leupold-Gilmore red dots on a .41 mag Contender...and LOVE IT..!!
    This little unit revitalized my interest in hunting with a handgun.
    Name:  .41 Contender w Leupold 005.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  991.2 KB
    Bob K, ShooterGranny and KZero like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links