• 2 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 1 Post By amar711
  • 1 Post By mrerick

Thread: Dry fire laser training

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Dry fire laser training

I posted this in a different section and didn’t get any responses so I thought I’d try here. Sorry for the double post.
    Has anyone ever used one of those laser target/bullet trainers for dry firing? I was looking at itarget and laserhit systems but curious what others thought. They look like they’d be a pretty good tool for training.

Member #
    Liked
    3223 times
    preface: I have never used a laser.

I have dry fired for practice, extensively. Perhaps I am misunderstanding you. Dry firing is used to perfect trigger manipulation. For dryfiring to be beneficial, you concentrate on the sights only. No target, a large, blank wall. Squeeze the trigger while maintain a perfect sight picture. If the sights move, stop manipulating the trigger.

With a laser you are anticipating where the bullets will impact. Not sure how that relates to dryfiring.

Kevin
    Knowledge should be shared and not hoarded.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Member #
    Liked
    57777 times
    I have one of those insert-it-in-the-barrel dry firing gizmos that sends a laser beam when you pull the trigger. It works ok on a revolver but w/ single action autos the slide has to be reset every time,w/ a double-action only it works ok. Kind of a cool play toy, possibly useful for training complete greenhorns & might have a bit of practical use for target shooting but it's nothing I would consider for combat/defensive training. It's just not anywhere near realistic enough.
    71Chevrolet and jeepnut like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23718 times
    We have one on available to our training team, and it has limited utility for training.

There is a much better device available that is continuously useful for building up and measuring shooting skills.

It's called a "Mantis-X":

https://mantisx.com/

It consists of a 3D accelerometer with a bluetooth transmitter that attaches to the rail on a semi-auto handgun or rifle. Alternatively, it can be attached to the base of a magazine, but this requires a modified magazine base.

A rather sophisticated app runs on your cellphone or tablet. It receives the movement information from the pistol mounted transmitter, and analyzes it over time, including the moment of dry fire or an actual shot.

This can show you great detail about your handgun's motion up through firing and follow through. The training exercises can help you improve the shooting platform for accuracy through feedback and long term record keeping.

I have one of these and like it a great deal. It's especially useful for diagnosing a new shooter's hold, trigger control and followthrough.

None of this feedback is recorded or available on the laser pistols.
    jeepnut likes this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
    We have one on available to our training team, and it has limited utility for training.

There is a much better device available that is continuously useful for building up and measuring shooting skills.

It's called a "Mantis-X":

https://mantisx.com/

It consists of a 3D accelerometer with a bluetooth transmitter that attaches to the rail on a semi-auto handgun or rifle. Alternatively, it can be attached to the base of a magazine, but this requires a modified magazine base.

A rather sophisticated app runs on your cellphone or tablet. It receives the movement information from the pistol mounted transmitter, and analyzes it over time, including the moment of dry fire or an actual shot.

This can show you great detail about your handgun's motion up through firing and follow through. The training exercises can help you improve the shooting platform for accuracy through feedback and long term record keeping.

I have one of these and like it a great deal. It's especially useful for diagnosing a new shooter's hold, trigger control and followthrough.

None of this feedback is recorded or available on the laser pistols.
    So I can use this at home? I didn’t see any targets. How exactly does it show accuracy? Or am I completely missing what it’s used for?

Member #
    Liked
    873 times
    I have one revolver with a laser grip. I use it for training newbies. I explain to them that if they can see the red dot, their sights are NOT lined up properly.

The BIG learning thing about it is that the red dot enables the person to see how much the gun moves every which way when they think they have it lined up steady to pull the trigger......and then how much MORE it moves when they do pull the trigger.

It is pretty amazing how fast people learn to keep their grip steady and learn to do "ONE SMOOTH PULL" of the trigger! The dot goes from "all over the wall" to barely moving in a short practice/training time when they get that immediate feedback.

NOTE that this is with people who are brand new to shooting.

Personally I can't use a laser to actually aim a shot when the gun is not "sights lined up on target" to save my soul. My husband can though, and he uses his laser equipped revolver occasionally for actual shooting if the light is low enough to see the dot.
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; 10-05-2019 at 10:29 PM.
    jeepnut and Injunbro like this.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    I have one revolver with a laser grip. I use it for training newbies. I explain to them that if they can see the red dot, their sights are NOT lined up properly.

The BIG learning thing about it is that the red dot enables the person to see how much the gun moves every which way when they think they have it lined up steady to pull the trigger......and then how much MORE it moves when they do pull the trigger.

It is pretty amazing how fast people learn to keep their grip steady and learn to do "ONE SMOOTH PULL" of the trigger! The dot goes from "all over the wall" to barely moving in a short practice/training time when they get that immediate feedback.

NOTE that this is with people who are brand new to shooting.

Personally I can't use a laser to actually aim a shot when the gun is not "sights lined up on target" to save my soul. My husband can though, and he uses his laser equipped revolver occasionally for actual shooting if the light is low enough to see the dot.
    Thanks, Granny. Think I’ll try just the laser first. Cheaper option for me right now.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23718 times
    Quote Originally Posted by amar711 View Post
    So I can use this at home? I didn’t see any targets. How exactly does it show accuracy? Or am I completely missing what it’s used for?
    The Mantis-X can be used for dry fire and for live fire, so you can use it for dry fire at home (with the only difference being lack or recoil to manage during follow through).

You use any normal target to aim at. It doesn't light up targets or make marks, etc... it makes precision recordings of all movements of the firearm during the firing cycle, and then shows you a simulated target with motion on the Cellphone / Tablet App.

Recordings of the actual motion of the firearm are much more useful for training than any laser dot you might momentarily see on a target.

https://mantisx.com/pages/how-it-works-1
    jeepnut likes this.
    Cheers! Marc

Check out my Gun Rights BLOG at: http://skilledshot.wordpress.com
    accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Appointed Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Links