Pistol hunting prep and tech questions
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Pistol hunting prep and tech questions

Member #
    Liked
    18477 times
    In reality I prefer a cross bow for here in Michigan for a couple reasons. One, the season is much longer and Two, it's hunt and stalk and that takes skill and stealth, besides, it's more fun. I have a 10 point and I've taken deer with it but the shot range is close, very close and it takes (like I said) skill and determination. Having said that when X bow hunting, I'm usually wearing a 44 on my hip just because when I'm hunting my property I prefer being armed. One never knows who might be trespassing and I prefer having the upper hand.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Yeah I agree with that I carry my g30 when I bow hunt on public land only because of weight for those long treks. Unless I plan on hunting bears. They don't scare me until ones shot and ran into thick Laurel that might not be mortally wounded. Then I carry the judge with some Buffalo bore flat nose. Even though we take are time and efforts to make humane archery shots twigs and brush can put us in not so great circumstances at times. The main reason I want to hunt with a pistol is because I never have and want to accomplish one harvest with one even if it's your average doe.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    11832 times
    Widman and Sidecar have it right. i would go with a very good hand gun scope. Most of the dear i have taken have been in very poor light conditions.. Early Morning or Late afternoon/evenings. I believe that Leupold makes the very best hand gun scope. That is what i use on my hunting .357 s, Limit you shots to under 75 yards. 100 with a .357 ,ay not kill cleanly and may wound and you never find the animal. With a six inch from a tree stand practice " Braced shots" . . But the big thing i tell you is to practice from various positions. I suggest heavy cast bullets on heavy game with slight hollow point. i also avoid shots where the animal is giving me a rear end presentation. May not be enough penetration for reaching vital organs. If the shot is not right let the animal walk. Do not rush things. but most of all be a true marksman. If you get Buck Fever get over it . It will cost you in the long run.

Have fun enjoy the outdoors. Most of the fun is just being there , making a shot is just icing on the cake !!
    SidecarFlip likes this.
    TO Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    18477 times
    I've been on paid hunts and never even racked a round because the animals I saw weren't of the caliber (size, weight and antler spread) I was looking for. Guess I'm particular but then I don't just shoot something for the hell of it. I term hunters that do 'slob hunters'. Same a'holes that gut a deer and leave the gut pile in the middle of a 2 track, strew beer cans everywhere and are totally ignorant of the rights of others. Why I tote a 44 pr my Kimber 45 ACP in a holster on my hip when I hunt on my property up north. I take a very dim view of poachers and trespassers.

far as scopes go, I agree at least in today's market, leupold would be the best choice. I happen to have a Burris on my 460 but it's a real Burris, not the Chinese junk they sell today. My Burris LER pistol scope is a Japanese LOE Glass scope, 2-5 power. You cannot buy them for love or money today, people that have them, keep them. Totally recoil proof and clear as clear can be.

When I use my handgun, I '2 eye' it. One eye (my right) is aligned with the optic and my left is tracking the animal. That takes practice. You never want to look just through a scope at a moving animal, you'll lose your sight picture right away.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links