Did you want that stainless or carbon knife razor sharp?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Did you want that stainless or carbon knife razor sharp?

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    I used a Lansky for years, and still do but it's sometimes hard on large bladed knives. I've been use a Spyderco Sharmaker for the past few months with good (for me) results.

Member #
    Liked
    55612 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
    I use a stone followed by a very fine ceramic stone. My 30 year old Buck 110 has never been dul and it holds an edge. Blade looks nearly new. I always was taught motorized sharpeners take the temper out of the knife’s edge and it gets dull faster so you sharpen more and then the knife isn’t any good. Am I missing something or just plain wrong.
    I don't think you can get the steel hot enough with the Worksharp to ruin the temper, A grinder is another matter.
    I'm Mr Bad Example, take a look at me.

Member #
    Liked
    5020 times
    Quote Originally Posted by diyj98 View Post
    I used a Lansky for years, and still do but it's sometimes hard on large bladed knives. I've been use a Spyderco Sharmaker for the past few months with good (for me) results.
    I just sharpened an 18” blade machete with one. You just have to move the blade a lot. It took me about 75 minutes to get to a razor edge. It will cut down a 3” tree with one or two whacks.
    Have A Good One,
    Rob

He that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Jesus

‘Twern’t be no good if it wasn’t loaded! John Wayne

I invest in Lead, Brass and Copper. Me

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8145 times
    I've had a Work Sharp for a couple of months. I bought mine used on flea bay for under $50 and I'm liking it pretty well. i started with some of the redheads crappy old kitchen knives and then worked up to the better stuff. You do have to watch what you're doing or you will take the point off the blade pretty quickly, but it does get a knife really sharp.
    bearcat6 and Nrah like this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Believe you've made an excellent choice.

I'm kind of a knife nut and have fooled with many different products over the years. Although I never tried this one, my "go to sharpener" is now the Darex hand held Field Sharpener made by the same company.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    41123 times
    to the forums from the Wiregrass!
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member | S&W Historical Foundation

Member #
    Liked
    13931 times
    I've got some ceramic rods that fit into a block of wood, at 15 degree angles each, made by Smith's. I bought two....one coarse, one fine. You sort of run the blade straight down these, while drawing the knife towards you. You alternate from side to side. They work pretty good ....once you get the hang of it! I got the others, that I mentioned before, on the first page, mainly for 'touch ups' in the field. I keep it in my Knapsack, along with emergency stuff, when I go for my day hikes. I seem to have varying luck with it though. I try to keep the blade straight when I pull it through......but sometimes I don't. Sometimes things don't work like they're supposed to! Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    18485 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertip View Post
    This gadget from Cabelas is made in Oregon. It uses small carbide belts to grind down any metal. A honing belt delivers a razor’s edge.

The coarse belt restores an abused edge. Two cassettes ensure the right angle for knives, scissors, etc. Belt changes take perhaps 30 seconds.

Not cheap at $89. But it flat works, and deserves the 5 star reviews.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F3MlkabgqYM

Tomatoes, oranges and an apple yielded thin slices on 3 knives I put to the test. Attachment 308553
    What I failed to mention in my original comment is Darex makes the worksharp and they also make twist drill grinders. I have one of the professional models. Not cheap (500 bucks) but works well for 90% of the HSS twist drills I need to resharpen. The rest I sharpen offhand. All Darex products are good American made tools.
    Nrah likes this.
    Daryl......

'You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool mom....

Member #
    Liked
    2381 times
    I saw a fascinating and cheap method to sharprn using a bench grinder on youtube.

The guy repurposed a bench grinder. Cut a thick piece of plywood in a circle, with hole for grinder shaft.

Put it on grinder, and used a lathe gouge to true it up so no inbalance. He turned the grinder away from himself, so his knife blade did not cut into the wood. A metal polishing compound was applied to the outer edge of the plywood. It produced a rapid high gloss polished edge on a knife blade which was literally razor sharp. Cut paper with multiple slow slashes.

He claimed it removed very little metal. Little pressure was applied.
    bearcat6 likes this.
    Don't be so open minded your brains fall out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Links