Did you want that stainless or carbon knife razor sharp?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Did you want that stainless or carbon knife razor sharp?

Member #
    Liked
    9586 times
    There is sharp..and then there is SHARP! I have a couple of SHARP knives...but I use them sparingly....as I somehow always seem to draw my own blood...
    Nrah likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3194 times
    I practice with a few cheap knives with a stone. My Grandpa was a master, his old CASE is still razor sharp.

Member #
    Liked
    4792 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Diabloman View Post
    I use a Hard Arkansas stone and honing oil. I have lotsa time now....!
    Me too. Never plan to use power tools on my knives.
    needsmostuff and Minorcan like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2051 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    For sharpening my knives, I have an old tool made by Normark to sharpen their Fillet knives to a razor's edge. It's a plastic rectangular shaped piece, with a groove that you pull the blade thru. It has some sharpening rods at a 30 degree angle, to sharpen the blade when you pull it thru. It works very well, and cost me about $3-$4.

I bought another by Smiths, which has two sharpenering grooves, one for rough sharpening, and one for fine. It cost me $4.95 at Dick's on monday.

These keep my blades razor sharp with 4-5 passes thru the sharpener. I never felt that sharpening a knife was such an exacting science involving secret incantations, and anal procedures. Some people seem to complicate the simplest things! Guess I must be doing something wrong!!!!! Bob
    Bob,

The only thing I can see you are doing wrong is shopping and giving your money to gun hating Dicks.

George
    ggro and Bob K like this.

Member #
    Liked
    39330 times
    Got one recently at Rockler. Works well on knives, but real hard to use for chisels and plane blades.

For those I found a YouTube video (after watching perhaps 30) that works great for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uei2HYv9RA

Final steps are on oiled 240, 320, 400 and 600 grit wet-or-dry paper, then stropping. Once the basic angle is set on a sander, should never need to go back to it again. Polish the edges on the wet-or-dry, and strop - mostly strop, now and again hit the paper. I have an Arkansas stone, it was my go-to sharpener, until this setup. Not hard to make - just gotta cut the correct angle on the aok board. Made one at 26 degrees and another at 20 degrees for a shoulder plane I have.

Actually went to Harbor Freight and got a $34 3x21 sander, with 20% discount it was $28. Perfect since (1) likely couldn't find one that cheap at a pawn shop and (2) there is no sawdust to clean out! Used some regular 120-grit paper before the alumina stuff came in, and that worked fine. Have bright, polished, fantastically sharp edges on planes and chisels. Will never have to flatten the stone again.
    No God, No Good.... Know God, Know Good....

Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

911 Response time: 600+ seconds. 1911 response time: 800+ feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, GOA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

Member #
    Liked
    13821 times
    save'n my $$$$$ for one! Xmas is come'n!
    Nrah likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1211 times
    I used to do a great job with an Arkansas stone and a leather strop. My hands and eyes no longer cooperate though. The Work sharp is the solution. My Benchmade and Chicago Cutlery both go in it. After you get the edge set the polishing belt is all you need for several times. It is like using a steel which I still use for touch up when I am in a hurry.
    sdismukes likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    13917 times
    George, I looked around for one of these sharpeners at various stores. I'm one of faithful Walmart shoppers, except they only had some more expense Smith's sharpeners.....$16. It was just a larger flat stone. I have always liked my Normark sharpener...........it's easy to use, and it still works, but is getting worn out from use. SO.... I got the Smith's, that has 2 grooves......fine and coarse, for only $5. Bob
    bluecar likes this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    1244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    George, I looked around for one of these sharpeners at various stores. I'm one of faithful Walmart shoppers, except they only had some more expense Smith's sharpeners.....$16. It was just a larger flat stone. I have always liked my Normark sharpener...........it's easy to use, and it still works, but is getting worn out from use. SO.... I got the Smith's, that has 2 grooves......fine and coarse, for only $5. Bob
    I got mine at Cabelas. I have the Ken Onion Edition and it works great. Just practice on a couple of old knives until you get the hang of it.

Joe

Member #
    Liked
    5018 times
    I use a stone followed by a very fine ceramic stone. My 30 year old Buck 110 has never been dull and it holds an edge. Blade looks nearly new. I always was taught motorized sharpeners take the temper out of the knife’s edge and it gets dull faster so you sharpen more and then the knife isn’t any good. Am I missing something or just plain wrong.
    Last edited by Minorcan; 01-28-2019 at 06:30 AM.
    bearcat6 and Nrah like this.
    Have A Good One,
    Rob

He that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Jesus

‘Twern’t be no good if it wasn’t loaded! John Wayne

I invest in Lead, Brass and Copper. Me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links